PDA

View Full Version : Non-Metalic Blue Paint

TnBlkC230WZ
01-20-2008, 10:00 AM
I really like the Bahama Blue paint, but I don't want a metalic. Is there a color close to Bahama Blue that isn't Metalic?

indyjps
01-21-2008, 03:28 PM
order the bahama blue with out the metallic in it.
go to your paint store and tell them you like bahama blue and what do they have in a standard color that is closest to bahama blue.

TnBlkC230WZ
01-21-2008, 10:08 PM
order the bahama blue with out the metallic in it.
go to your paint store and tell them you like bahama blue and what do they have in a standard color that is closest to bahama blue.

I wasn't sure I could order it without the metal flake

mikey
01-21-2008, 10:56 PM
A good paint supplier will custom mix you any color you want for a extra fee.

TnBlkC230WZ
01-22-2008, 09:37 AM
This is good news, just what I wanted to hear!

TnBlkC230WZ
01-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Ok, I'm going to order the paint with the metalic. Next question? I'm using PPG Deltron paint. Which is best (keep in mind this is my first car) using DBC 2000 base coat/clear coat or using DCC Concept single stage urethane? I could still clear or flow coat the DCC. I have to paint the whole car inside and out.

comp-spec
01-23-2008, 04:49 PM
With the metalic you want to clear it. That way if you get any problems it the paint you can sand and buff it out.
With the DCC your not going to want to buff it with out clear or you'll be buff the metalic
We would use base/clear with that color.
The base coat drys quick so that will be alittle easier for if you get problems in the color you can stop and sand it out and fix it quick. Once you color looks good clear it
DCC dries slow (you can't stop and fix in the middle of the job) and will be hard to get even with good shine

TnBlkC230WZ
01-23-2008, 05:32 PM
With the metalic you want to clear it. That way if you get any problems it the paint you can sand and buff it out.
With the DCC your not going to want to buff it with out clear or you'll be buff the metalic
We would use base/clear with that color.
The base coat drys quick so that will be alittle easier for if you get problems in the color you can stop and sand it out and fix it quick. Once you color looks good clear it
DCC dries slow (you can't stop and fix in the middle of the job) and will be hard to get even with good shine

I like your explaination. I need to say with what is easiest and easy to fix. One last question, my local PPG store is recommending to use Global instead of Deltron. I haven seen anyone on these boards using Global. Deltron seems to be much more talked about.

comp-spec
01-23-2008, 06:01 PM
base clear is best
I think globle is alittle cheaper? is that way
Ether way you can get a good job with global.
See how much different the price is but I'd use the good clear
We've used ALOT of CLEARS and we all ways use the good clear.
There is a difference but .......... you can get it to look good with cheaper clears

TnBlkC230WZ
01-23-2008, 06:31 PM
What is a good clear? I would like to stay in the same line of paint. Be it a Deltron or Global. How many coats of clear do you recommend. The tech sheet says two coats. A friend at work says to put up to ten on sanding between each.

comp-spec
01-23-2008, 07:19 PM
The PPG concept line is good
I spray 4 -5 coats and then wet sand 1000 - 1200 - 1500 - 2000 then buff
On some of the cars I spray 4 coats then wetsand with 500 and then spray another 4 - 5 coats then buff
These clears recommend 2 coats but if your going to give it a good wet sand and buff you'll need more clear .... 2 coats are for factory type repairs were you don't do a lot of buffing

Thats a nice color cleared start with the jams see how it sprays for you 2- 3 coats on the jams are good

TnBlkC230WZ
01-23-2008, 07:29 PM
I was looking at DCU2002 Concept High Solids Poly Clear. Is there a trick to making sure the metalic is oriented the correct way? I've selected a color with very small metalic particles, so I don't know if this will be an issue. Also I've finalized on a color called Deep Blue Pearl. It is a little deeper blue than Bahama Blue. It is also very rare in this country as it is only used on VW R32s and Phaetons.

comp-spec
01-23-2008, 07:37 PM
2002 is a good clear
That color should spray out easy if it starts to look blotchy just back off and turn up the air pressure ALITTLE and dust it on...... but don't spray it dry and rough or you'll be sanding and reshooting

TnBlkC230WZ
01-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks, my primer came out a little blotchy at first, but things started smoothing out as I slowed down. I'm using a Sharpe Finex 300 gun. I expected it to dump a lot of paint, but it was just the opposite. I really had to slow down to get a wet coat. I probably need to adjust the gun a little too. The up side was very little overspray and I didn't have any paint on me.

At least I have a plan now and I know what materials to buy. I thinking a gallon of paint should paint the car. and 1.5 -2 gallons of clear plus DT860 reducer and DCX61 hardner. I'll be painting in my garage, but I should be able to get it above 60 degrees or at least pretty close.