PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Air Alternatives

Ricoch3T
01-23-2005, 10:29 PM
Is there any alternative (ie cheaper) to the vintage air systems. Seems like everyone uses them and I don't really see any talk about using something from another car or what not.
Just trying to get some ideas b/c I want to fill my firewall but I will prolly at least need a little heat and if its cheap enough maybe some a/c also. Thanks in adv

KWIKND
01-24-2005, 04:31 AM
Try pricing a kit from Hot Rod Air.
www.hotrodair.com
888-357-zero zero four zero
Good Luck
Dan

stanglou
03-25-2005, 11:39 AM
coyote air supposedly has a good system for about $740, looks clean too

USAZR1
03-25-2005, 11:45 AM
I'm looking hard at Old Air's "Hurricane" system. A co-worker friend of mine has one of those systems in his 55 Chevy and you can almost hang beef in the interior,it gets so cold. :1st:
Their 900cfm blower is pretty impressive,too.

shanekennedy
07-01-2005, 04:14 AM
http://www.classicautoair.com/

Kenova
07-08-2005, 08:19 AM
Is there any alternative (ie cheaper) to the vintage air systems. Seems like everyone uses them and I don't really see any talk about using something from another car or what not.....

I've noticed that the vast majority of newer cars have their H-Vac systems inside the car, under the dash. Although I've never actually measured any, I would think that a unit from a mid sized car (Grand Am, Malibu) may be adaptable.
Ken

censo69
07-12-2005, 06:11 AM
The biggest problem with using a HVAC out of any production car is going to be controlling it. Every HVAC now probably has about 6 different servo motors controlling the modes and recirc. Each motor is controlled by a voltage or current that is predetermined by the manufacturer. Often times long hours go into the calibration of the controls of a production car. Of course you could just take the whole control panel as well but then you stuck with grand am looking knobs.

moto-x712
07-18-2005, 04:05 PM
i just installed a hot rod air kit in my 69 camaro and it was quick and painless. Dont know how great it works yet(car isnt finished yet) but the install went well.

shanekennedy
07-19-2005, 04:23 AM
hot rod air can modify your original controls to work with their system. most other vendors will use the original controls, but re-map their functions. not a big deal, just one of those small annoying things.

Ricoch3T
07-19-2005, 12:49 PM
I went with just a heater box, b/c even with my newer camaro now I rarely use the A/c, I figured it was somewhere I could cut the cost. Anyhow, I saw somewhere (wiring diagram) that I think used microswitches to hook up the orginal controls.. Didn't get a chance to check it out fully so I don't have much info about it other than what I've said. I've still got a while before I get to any details like that. :eek:

third base
07-21-2005, 09:36 PM
How much is the hot rod air kit for the 69' camaro?

shanekennedy
07-22-2005, 04:07 AM
How much is the hot rod air kit for the 69' camaro?

i called them for a 68 & they said $750 i think. also said it was $150 to OEM controls to work w/ their kit.

KUL FIR CHICK N
07-22-2005, 06:06 PM
Be sure and do your homework before jumping on that kit. At least talk to someone who has used one, even better, find a car with one and check out the performance.

dgumoe
08-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Hey guys, PM me, Ive got a few things I can offer.

Zefhix
08-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Whoa...definitely do your research on this subject. I did a lot of looking around and research before I finally decided on classic auto air. The people there really know their ***** and I'm very impressed with the quality of build. I ordered their street rod II cooler system that was fully electric but they do have a complete retro fit pakage for most muscle cars. Give them a call.....I gurantee you'll be sold!

USAZR1
08-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Be sure and do your homework before jumping on that kit. At least talk to someone who has used one, even better, find a car with one and check out the performance.

What is your honest opinion of that kit?

10Seconds
10-06-2005, 06:03 PM
hot rod air can modify your original controls to work with their system. most other vendors will use the original controls, but re-map their functions. not a big deal, just one of those small annoying things.

This was a big deal for me, and the main reason that I went with Hot Rod Air over VA and the others. Plus, HRA will include a stainless condenser in their kit at no extra charge if you request it, which was perfect for me as I wanted the SS one to match my SS radiator.

KUL FIR CHICK N
10-06-2005, 07:09 PM
There is no stainless condenser. They must be offering you an un-painted aluminum condenser. Have you received your unit yet? Let us know how you like it when you have it installed.

Again, you have to really do your homework.

68LSS1
10-07-2005, 12:19 AM
Another vote for Classic Auto Air. (http://classicautoair.com/default.asp) Used their OEM type kit in a Mustang once and really liked it.

73z-6sp
10-07-2005, 04:01 AM
Well, I have never used anything but VA but this is the last time I use them. Too many things this time around have really turned me off to them. Customer service being one of them. Its one of my pet peeves. If Im gonna pay 1000 dollars for your system, atleast give me some customer service! Geez! Why is that so difficult?

USAZR1
10-07-2005, 11:02 AM
My experience with Vintage Air is the opposite of yours. Some of the other AC companies kinda turned me off with their "we're doing you a favor by selling you our stuff" attitude. We installed VA's Gen II system in my El Camino last June and it works & looks good.

10Seconds
10-08-2005, 02:15 PM
There is no stainless condenser. They must be offering you an un-painted aluminum condenser. Have you received your unit yet? Let us know how you like it when you have it installed.

Again, you have to really do your homework.

Gee... I look really smart here, huh?

Aluminum, right - obviously that goes for the radiator too. SS, I guess I was thinking lines, not condenser, sorry. We all have the occasional brain fart so I guess this was mine.

joe g
12-10-2005, 08:06 PM
I installed the Classic Air system in my 69 Camaro earlier this year. It fits well, looks good (I bought it minus the compressor; I used the March pulley system and polished compressor) and it even works well. My center vents almost ice up.

I like the firewall cover and connections better than V/A. Also the cable controls are better (IMO)

joe

zo66
12-10-2005, 08:44 PM
i have used vintage and hot rod on mid year corvettes both had pluses and minus points i do like classic airs kits from a view but havent worked with them,may use them on my camaro,but i can only echo the words of caution especially on the control
features they variy greatly.

KUL FIR CHICK N
12-11-2005, 02:56 PM
:secret: Really cool Camaro stuff coming from VA.........soon........

Steve68
12-12-2005, 04:29 AM
Well what is it????

ProdigyCustoms
12-12-2005, 06:12 AM
Vintage Air is hard to beat and is on GP at GPSuperStore.com

Merry Chrismas