PDA

View Full Version : Correct tire size to achieve balance front and rear?

69Fbody
01-19-2008, 05:02 PM
I am preparing to order rear wheels for my project. I just finished the install on DSE's Quadralink. We went with Chris Alston double adjustable coil overs in the rear. The rear grip is amazing! However, just because I can fit a 335 in the rear I don't think I should. I am afraid that the car will push at the track with that much rear bite. The front end is all Global west stage five. Upper and lower tubular control arms. The largest tire I can fit in the front is a 255. Are there any members who have enough experience with these suspension systems to recommend a rear tire size that will work well with a 255 in the front. The application is street and track days.

Thank You

CurtiSS 69
01-22-2008, 11:16 PM
If you are going to do a lot of track work I would choose a size that is common and inexpensive, so you can just go out and burn them up! At least this is what I do. As for going wider in the back: you can induce oversteer with the throttle especially near the limit. Personally I like some understeer, as I can lean on the accelerator much harder without spinning. If you oversteer too much you will have to ease out of it to stay on line. Ultimately, put on the tires you want and tune it to your liking. Avoid anything that will scrape in any way for track use. Cutting down tires super s-u-c-k-s!

Regards

CurtiSS 69

68Formula
01-23-2008, 08:07 AM
One thing you can try is using a higher sidewall height on the rear rather than sacrifice width. The sidewall won't be as stiff which helps in two ways. You will have slightly less cornering grip, but in straight line the flex will help traction and allow you to use all the tread width.

I'm not sure if they are street legal, but Hooser and Kumo sell a 345/35R18.

parsonsj
01-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Katz's rule of thumb is no more than 50mm difference. Less difference is better. So if you're front-limited to 255, then a good choice for the back is a 295 or so. A 335 will most definitely push a lot more than a 275/295.

jp

Boesch
01-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Katz's rule of thumb is no more than 50mm difference. Less difference is better. So if you're front-limited to 255, then a good choice for the back is a 295 or so. A 335 will most definitely push a lot more than a 275/295.

jp

I agree. Don't get too much wider in the back or you'll be pushing around every corning.