PDA

View Full Version : HMSA vintage club event at Laguna Seca

David Pozzi
01-23-2005, 07:28 PM
Went by Laguna Seca this weekend, the weather was perfect, upper 60's, with blue sky, I saw some Can-Am and Trans-Am cars racing and having fun, saw a fiew friends there including an old friend I used to autocross with back in the 70's, he'd just gotten his 68 Camaro running again, it looked just like it did when he used to autocross it.

This photo isn't good because I was facing the sun, but it gives you the idea of the weather and the kind of cars out there.

I took some pit shots but not of the TA cars, got some Can-Am stuff I'll post here.

Salt Racer
01-24-2005, 06:55 AM
Very cool, David! Thanks for sharing pics.

I can't wait to go back out to CA!!

I read that Coriolis force has something to do with the design of those unequal length injector stacks in Hot Rod magazine a long time ago. Wonder it that is true?

David Pozzi
01-24-2005, 01:05 PM
I've heard a BB chev has two "good" ports and two "bad" ports on each BB head, the ports in the heads are longer on the "bad" ports requiring shorter stacks. Another reason for doing this is the torque band is broader and smoother with staggered lengths, also you can have full bells on the stacks this way.

I've got a higher resolution copy of the stacks that would make a great desktop screen.

Ralph LoGrasso
01-24-2005, 02:20 PM
Cool pics, David!

David Pozzi
01-25-2005, 07:01 PM
LEFT
Here is a great shot of a Lola T-222 Can-Am car at Laguna.
This car ran in the 1971 Can-Am, it was driven by Dave Causey.
He lost control of it just before the corkscrew, ran thru the fence, and hit a parked Dodge Charger and caught fire! I was there on the other side of the track.

RIGHT
Here is an old Autoweek photo of the crash!
David

PAI Racing
01-26-2005, 01:18 PM
David,

Have you seen the big bore drivers' assoc. that some vintage racers are putting together for this season? The stated goal is to combat the dispersion of racers amongst HMSA, HSR and VARA and to promote larger fields. The plan is to get all the A-sedan and A and B production drivers to show up at 10 or so selected events this season in order to have a larger and more consistent run group. If you are interested in more information, email me or pm me and I'll send you the info.

Sean

David Pozzi
01-26-2005, 01:42 PM
Sean, I pm'd you, thanks!

I added a "before" crash photo of the Causey car above.

vanzuuk1
04-21-2005, 05:52 AM
david, was that just an outtake from "bullit"?

David Pozzi
04-21-2005, 01:13 PM
The photo of the Lola burned, was from an old Autoweek issue covering the race.

Mean 69
04-26-2005, 05:24 PM
So, the real question for this thread is "When are you going to run the Lola, and can I get a ride!!!!?!?! They allow the SBC cars down at Coronado in the fall, and you have a place to stay if you'd like to bring her down for some show time. I know two guys that will help crew for you! Probably more.

Mark

David Pozzi
04-26-2005, 10:21 PM
Mark,
I'd like to do coronado some day.
I just need to get my "Act" together.

There was a guy who I raced with named Dan Martin from San Diego. I heard he taught Auto Shop but don't know where or what level.
I ran an autocross at Jack Murphy Stadium many years ago, that was the last time I was down there.
David

vanzuuk1
04-27-2005, 02:34 AM
that was just a bad joke about the burned charger.sorry.