PDA

View Full Version : I know this is a long shot [NorCal]

dstryr
01-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Alright, I'll explain my story. Im fixing up a 71 camaro to be my daily driver. This is my first project car ( I'm only 17 ) and I have pretty much rebuilt everything mechanical on this car (with the help of my dad of course). Well after getting everything mechanically sound, im ready to move on to body work.

I was wondering if any experienced body people would have the time to come out and give me some pointers? I know this is a stretch but just putting it out there. I can't afford to pay someone to paint and stuff, so i figured I'd take the time and try and learn. I've read a few books but I know there is no sub. for lessons taught by professionals.

So if you are willing to help, i'd really appreciate it. I'd mostly need help with body panel alignment, and some tips on getting panels straighter. Offer comes with lunch? haha Pizza and some soda?

Thanks,
Dennis.

Vegas69
01-18-2008, 11:51 PM
If I had the knowledge and was close I would show you the ropes. Come on guys if you are out there. These kids are a rare breed now. They all care about ipods and television.
You may want to see if a local body shop will let you intern for a day. Expect **** work and plenty of harrasment.

dstryr
01-19-2008, 07:59 AM
haha well ive been counting on doing the **** work since I started this project. I worked at a motor shop for like 3 weeks during the summer, and the guy walked me through every step there was in building the motor. I did everything myself, but he made sure I didnt make any mistakes. It was a great learning tool and i have a lot more respect for the car now that I've done everything and its taken so long. The problem is the only local shops to me right now are just collision repair shops that dont like messing with old cars.

dstryr
01-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Bump?

mpozzi
01-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Hey Dennis,

I've had a smidgen of experience prepping and painting cars and am no expert. I'm in your neck of the woods often and may stop by and check on the progress. Is your car still at your dad's shop? PM me with the address again if it is.

The big problems with the cars are with the doors. These second-gen doors are heavy suckers and the hinge pins wear which then wears the strikers. For the fenders, there are body washers in between the sheetmetal and hardware. There's no set amount and each car varied due to the degree of alignment required at the factory.

The prep work is the most time consuming and will make or break your final paint application and finish. Try a junior college (Hartnell College does have Body and Paint classes in the evening) as you'll get a good education plus be able to prep and paint your Camaro there using their equipment and booth. The semester starts next Monday so if you are planning to get this done, register ASAP.

Another option is to contact local collision repair shops in your area and see if they'll trade labor for shooting the car. You may sweep floors and clean bathrooms but will get your car painted by someone who's got experience doing this. You'll probably have to purchase materials or reimburse the shop for them.

You never know ...

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

dstryr
01-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Hey Mary...we meet again haha. yeah my car is still at my dad's shop.

I didnt know it started so quickly. I tried looking for a good class at gav but they dont offer anything anymore... kinda sucks.

and I dont know if I can balance everything if i take that at night...hmm decisions decisions...

dstryr
01-22-2008, 10:08 PM
https://www.hartnell.edu:8443/WebAdvisor/WebAdvisor?TOKENIDX=9852428914&SS=2&APP=ST&CONSTITUENCY=WBST
From that list....what would be the best class to take ...

Z06killinSBF
01-23-2008, 04:27 AM
Hey man, good luck. I did the paint and body works on my dad's 73' Camaro as my high school project. My school actually had a collision class so we had all the tools. I did have more experience than most since I had helped on my car (with the work being done by my dad) and it turned out great. I agree, the doors are HEAVY!! On our 73' I replaced the quarters, tail panel, door skins, hood and patched the fenders. Then after hours and hours of filling and priming painted everything Porsche Guardsman red.

There is a guy who makes step by step videos on this stuff. I think he advertises in the back of CC or HR, not sure. Check it out and good luck.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

dstryr
01-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Man you really make me want to drive back to the car and start doing body work lol.

dstryr
02-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Bump?

dstryr
02-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Bump for the last time. thanks

64ss496
03-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Ok, I couldn't log in to that website, but I went to an Occupational Center (like a junior college) during high school because my school didn't offer any auto classes, and then I went to Wyotech, Both schools provided me with a wealth of information that I can take with me the rest of my life. Honestly, I'd do what I could to get into a program like that. If nothing else, you learn how to work on your car, and get credit for it!!