PDA

View Full Version : Junk Goodmark Quarter Panels

firstgenfire
01-17-2008, 09:12 PM
I have been struggling with replacing the passenger quarter on my 67 firebird coupe for some time now. First of all these panels are very badly stamped. The problem that I am having is that the curve for the trunk gutter on the top side towards the rear window starts to curve toward the car too soon causing the curve to be too sharp. I was wondering if anyone else out there has had the same problem and what they ended up doing to fix it. Im thinking about cutting out the right curve and having to patch in a lot of extra metal. What do you guys think I should do?

*The first pictures are the goodmark panels and the last is the driverside which starts the curve much later

Thanks

mikey
01-17-2008, 09:41 PM
You may be able to just cut a pie slice out along the top and bottom edges. Reshape the curve then weld up the slot on the top and make a small filler piece for the vertical bend and gap in the gutter. As long as the gutter curve is correct it won't be alot of work.

ProdigyCustoms
01-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Standard procedure. We make a litle slit behind the edge of the panel, tap it back to make a gap, then tig it up. The we bead weld and grind the bead to make the gap correct!

sweet67
01-17-2008, 09:50 PM
I have the exact same problem. I do not have mine finished yet, but I am going to cut the front edge, then move the line down, then fill in the gap. I put a new tail pannel on my car to and it fits like crap too.

Steve1968LS2
01-17-2008, 10:40 PM
Funny.. we just messed with '68 Camaro ones and they were "ok"..

danbob67
01-18-2008, 03:40 AM
way I see it that is a easy fix if that is the only issue I put some american legion ones on a car and they got cut all over the place to make em fit. need to keep in mind these are still a aftermarket part not OEM sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do

comp-spec
01-18-2008, 05:57 AM
Almost every new panel we do needs some cutting and beaten too get good lines
No big deal it just sucks you have to cut up a new panel to get good gaps
Slice it line it up then weld it:hammer:

MuscleRodz
01-18-2008, 07:49 AM
I find it odd when we don;t have to cut up a panel to make it fit due to stamping issues. I have even had to cut NOS parts because most the NOS parts left were stamped on worn out dies.

Mike

protour73
01-18-2008, 09:13 AM
Goodmark 2" steel Cowl Induction hood..............aprox. 50 hours prep time by the boyz at http://www.nosrestoration.com/
, definately not "Scratch and Shoot"

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/01/DSCN1768-1.jpg

sweet67
01-18-2008, 05:44 PM
[quote keep in mind these are still a aftermarket part not OEM sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do[/quote]
This is right on the money!

Rick D
01-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Goodmark 2" steel Cowl Induction hood..............aprox. 50 hours prep time by the boyz at http://www.nosrestoration.com/
, definately not "Scratch and Shoot"

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/01/DSCN1768-1.jpg

Hay I see you worked on the Camaro:slap: Hay give me a call I need a finished picture by the end of February so I can get it in next years Spie's calendar. it dosen't have to be finish all the way but at least from the outside.

protour73
01-24-2008, 06:21 AM
Hay I see you worked on the Camaro:slap: Hay give me a call I need a finished picture by the end of February so I can get it in next years Spie's calendar. it dosen't have to be finish all the way but at least from the outside.

..................you mean....like......with bumpers on it? hehehe (inside joke)

minendrews68
01-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Is that the best these guys can paint? I think I saw a fly try to land on the hood and slipped and busted his butt it was so slick. Man that looks good...

Rhino
01-31-2008, 01:38 PM
What's really weird is that I had the exact opposite problem. All in all the curve was almost correct, although it was about 1/4 too far toward the rear of the car. The rest of the quarter was fitting very good at that point. I ended up cutting the curve out and rewelding to fit. It was quite a bit of work but I'm happy with the outcome.