PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight Hydaulic Shop Press

Asia
01-16-2008, 08:10 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=32879 (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32879)

Anybody have any reviews on this HF 20ton shop press? Looking to press in new bushings on a couple of my project cars. I want reviews from people who actually have used them. Anti-HF guys keep quiet. I just spent the past hour sifting through hf bashing posts, lol. Only review I've seen so far is some guy saying that gunsmiths swear by these presses. Thanks

z28orshoot
01-16-2008, 10:34 PM
i have had the exact one for about 5 years. works great. and use it about 3 times week. some tools having electronics i might veer away from if you use them "professionally" but for the DIYer most stuff is suffecient. sorry for the spelling

Rubes
01-17-2008, 04:21 AM
I've had one of the older design ones for about 20 years. works fine. I did replace the tube that is used as the ram with a solid round steel bar, and had to re-weld the cross piece that the arbor plates sit on. the arbor plates are just plain cast pieces too, so they or the parts you put on them dont sit flat. I use other flat steel paltes I had layin around. You end up makin' "special" jigs for almost every job anyway. I would get another one from there if I had to replace this one.

Asia
01-17-2008, 06:40 PM
thanks for the replies! another forum mentioned that Pepboys is having a clearance on their 12 and 20 ton shop presses. I just picked up a 20 ton one for $80!! (after a $50 rebate). It's a Torin which I think is basically the same as HF.

Hoot
01-20-2008, 11:17 AM
how did you get the $50 rebate? I was just there and saw the press for $130, but no mention of the rebate.

Asia
01-20-2008, 11:29 AM
You have to tell the cashier and they'll give you a form to fill out. When I bought the press, they forgot about the rebate so I had to remind them. I think the sale ended yesterday, though.

Hoot
01-20-2008, 03:32 PM
I went back to the store. bought the press for $129 (still on sale) and got the $50 rebate at the register, thanks!

turboregal
03-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Neighbor has that same press we have abused the crap out it and it still keep ticking