PDA

View Full Version : Spintech Side Exhaust?

Mean 69
01-23-2005, 02:39 PM
Anyone have direct experience with the side exit exhaust systems from Spintech? Application is a first gen Camaro, I see that they offer a 3", which is the one I would go with. Sound levels? Fit? Sound?

Thanks,
Mark

RobM
01-25-2005, 04:13 PM
frame conectors may seriously get in the way of that if you have them.

streetk14
02-02-2005, 08:17 PM
I had a 2.5" x-pipe system with Spin-Tech's on my 68 Camaro. It was all mandrel bent, and had flowmaster 2.5" tailpipes out the back. I wasn't satisfied with the sound. It sounded funny at cruise. I has a friend make several passes by me while I stood on the side of the road. It made my near 500hp small block sound like a Honda. That's when I decided to change the mufflers. In their defense, they sounded wicked at full throttle. I haven't heard the side-exit system, it could sound different. It does look pretty cool, though.
-Andy

LIL QIK
02-03-2005, 10:44 AM
Do you have a link to this side exit system?

scogin918
02-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Nextel cup cars sound funny too when you are at the track and hear them live. Full throttle is awesome, but when they peel off onto the pit lane you can really hear the difference. They also exit at the furthermost point until they interfere with the travel of the truckarm.

streetk14
02-05-2005, 07:34 PM
www.spintechmufflers.com is their site. There are no pictures of the system, but there was a car craft article a while back that featured a blue 69 Camaro and the side-exit exhaust install. check it out: www.carcraft.com/techarticles/98398/
-Andy

Quick GN
02-05-2005, 09:28 PM
I have a similar system on my second gen (not Spintech) and I love it. Yes the car is obnoxiosly loud, but that's the way I like it. sounds pretty much the same with the exhaust hooked up or with open headers.

USAZR1
02-06-2005, 08:56 PM
I had a 2.5" x-pipe system with Spin-Tech's on my 68 Camaro. It was all mandrel bent, and had flowmaster 2.5" tailpipes out the back. I wasn't satisfied with the sound. It sounded funny at cruise. I has a friend make several passes by me while I stood on the side of the road. It made my near 500hp small block sound like a Honda. That's when I decided to change the mufflers. In their defense, they sounded wicked at full throttle. I haven't heard the side-exit system, it could sound different. It does look pretty cool, though.
-Andy

Andy,the x-pipe is what changed the exhaust tone so much,,not the mufflers.

streetk14
02-21-2005, 09:36 PM
Andy,the x-pipe is what changed the exhaust tone so much,,not the mufflers.

Yes, the x-pipe changed the exhaust tone. It made it higher pitched and smoother sounding. unfortunatly, I never ran the spin techs with a traditional H-pipe system, so I can't compare the difference. I love the sound of my x-pipe when combined with my delta flow 40 series flowmasters, I just didn't like the spin tech/x-pipe sound on my car. Maybe I'm just picky....
-Andy

chicane67
02-22-2005, 09:26 PM
Mark..........

Put the crack pipe d o w n, and step away from the crack.

You have tools. Build a better widget.

ProdigyCustoms
02-24-2005, 05:02 AM
I am not sure I like the sound of anything with the X pipe as I think it makes the exhaust note confaluted (mixed up), which is what it does. I really enjoy the true stereo of 2 seperate pipes. The extra .03221 percent of performance increase an X pipe may produce is not worth it to me. However, it is a real good way to knock a few DB's off a way too loud exhaust system as I have personally seen 6 DB's difference with just adding an X pipe.
As far as Spintechs, they are a bit tinny for my taste, the weird sound though is the X Pipe.

Tom Welch
02-24-2005, 05:31 PM
Why not exit the exhaust through the quarter panel behind the rear wheel opening? This quiets the ride at least from inside the car, and doesnt compromise a low ride height. When done carefully it has an excellent appearance.

streetk14
03-03-2005, 09:19 PM
Yeah, the x-pipe gives the car a different sound. When combined with the right muffler it can sound really good. A friend of mine said my car sounded like "a new mustang on crack". :seizure:

ProdigyCustoms
03-04-2005, 03:47 AM
As much as I hate to admit it, to me, nothing sounds as good as a mod motor Mustang with a good exhaust. It has to be firing order, but for whatever reason, they just sound freakin killer. My neighbor kid has one, aggravates the **** out of me hearing him go by the house because I know no matter what I do to the WS6 car, it will sound like a UPS truck at best!
We have wore him out a few times, the WS6 is faster, but he damn sure sounds good getting his ass whopped!

JamesJ
03-04-2005, 09:26 AM
Prodigy, thats the trick, if you can just look and sound good loosing its ok.

protour_chevelle
03-04-2005, 04:38 PM
Cheap mufflers are where its at! My thrush turbo something rathers sound badass. Its got a really nice deep rumble to it. Running true duals(cross overs are for sissy's hehe) LT headers going into 2.5 pipes. No emissions rocks!

-Matt

USAZR1
03-06-2005, 04:57 PM
X-pipes do change the exhaust tone but my Callaway picked up 19rwhp by adding one.(B&B TriFlo)

protour_chevelle
03-06-2005, 06:25 PM
X-pipes do change the exhaust tone but my Callaway picked up 19rwhp by adding one.(B&B TriFlo)

Meh, with proper mods to support I could see it. On an all motor vehicle I could see a X-pipe allowing a gain in power.

Curious, what size of exhaust are you running?

-Matt

PeteRR
03-15-2005, 07:02 AM
Anyone have direct experience with the side exit exhaust systems from Spintech? Application is a first gen Camaro, I see that they offer a 3", which is the one I would go with. Sound levels? Fit? Sound?

Thanks,
Mark

I'm using their 3" side exit kit along with a DR. Gas x-pipe. The sound is different, but great. It rumbles without the drone like flowmasters do, and howls at WOT. The best is driving along side jersey barriers. The exhaust note is blasting right back at you.

The kit comes in 11 pieces so fitment is no problem. I run subframe connectors and the kit fits because the tail pipes coming out of the mufflers are ovalized to accomodate the connectors. This is what shows:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
I positioned the exhaust tip far from the rear tires as I didn't want heat problems.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Steve68
03-15-2005, 01:03 PM
I agree with Frank, 'stangs sound awsome, all my buddys with GM cars agree, even thought the get there ass handed to them most times, I have a Dr Gas x-over 3" to 21/2 Rhino RPM mufflers and Flowmaster tail pipes, I hope it sounds good, Steve