PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Done business w/ The Carb Shop?

67speedfreak
01-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Thinking of having them build me a 950 HP Holley for the 502ci in Agent orange.

Custom 950 w/ powder coated body to match the car.

Anyone have any dealings with them. Looking for some referances.

Thanks,
Brian

Rick Dorion
01-16-2008, 05:18 AM
I had them rework my 700DP a few years back. I really like it - great street manners and the A/F ratio is very good after verifying with my Innovate. I take with a grain of salt their verifying on their test mule as I had to pull out 4 jet sizes because it was pig rich when I got it.

67speedfreak
01-16-2008, 06:07 AM
Thanks Rick
Anyone else?

Procharmo
06-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Hey Rick, I have a Holley 750 preped by the Carb shop. Not sure what to expect as every one else quotes CSU on the net for Blow thru's.
In a recent test by Steve Morris a Carb shop prepped 4150 (I think) gave 2050 hp pipping a CSU prepped carb to the wining post. He seemed to think they work "right out of the box".
Apparently they dyno them to 1000 hp prior to shipping to customers.

I have a Procharger prepped Holley 650 which has been fine since 1994. Probably that long ago it was prepped by one of the original CSU/Carb shop guys when they were at Procharger.
The carb shop item has the horns etc milled right down giving 360% hat positioning. It has rubber gaskets all over the throttle pivots etc. It also has a balancing line from the front to rear floats.
I honestly haven't seen these features on close up pictures of other carbs.. I can wait to install it!!!!!!!!

chicane67
06-07-2008, 09:23 PM
I have always used the Carb Shop... ever since I met Brad back in the late 80's. That man knew his proverbial business... and his wife was actually the tech line back then and knew more about carb's than the majority of susposed carb experts.

Unfortunately, Brad has passed on... but he was one of the only cats to wet flowed their product and ran it on an actual dyno engine before it was shipped to you. To this day... I feel they are still one of the top three in business. Great product and great customer service. Man... Brad was one cool cat. He'd give you the shirt off his back to help you out.

The last carb I got from them was an HP series 950 for a 502 that got stuffed into a 70 1/2 Z28. Damn near perfect imulsion out of the box... with only a small adjustment to the idle transfer (we changed cams when I sent the carb for their magic). To say the least... well worth the time and monies.

Procharmo
06-23-2008, 11:25 PM
I don't know a lot about blowthru carbs but, I have just removed my Procharger prepped 650 Holley and installed my Carb shop prepped 750 Holley. Pumped the throttle 4 times, turned the motor over for 15 seconds. It burst into life and sounded tight and devilish. Only a slight idle adjustment needed. Didn't drive it just wanted to be sure all was OK. Will install upgraded fuel system before taking for a test drive...

Procharmo
08-31-2008, 11:41 PM
Aeromotive Eliminator pump, sumped tank, -12AN into pump, -10AN to 13202 regulator, 2 x -8AN to Carb Shop 750 cfm Holley, -10AN return tank.
Idle is fine, Part throttle OK. Slightly rich ( black soot from exhaust).
Cannot get reading from regulator mounted fuel pressure gauge although it must be flowing. Will not test WOT till I can read fuel pressure.
I fancy a cowl mounted gauge or moving the existing gauge to the carb.
Any suggestions???

Karch
09-01-2008, 09:35 AM
I used Performance Carbuerators in Onatrio, CA (909 area code, near Carb Shop) back when my Holley 750 was redone.

It's been so long (10 years or so), but he used to work for Brad Urban.

Just my 2 cents.

Procharmo
10-14-2008, 07:23 AM
My Carb Shop 750 is working just fine out of the box. I have adjusted the idle mixture screws to get it though the UK's MOT emission's test. Then (road/ear/spark plug reading and exhaust smelling) tuned to get reasonable performance till I can get the whole combo on a Dyno. Snappy of idle, loads of low down torque, not sure about WOT as yet. But I'm very happy with the results so far.

MonzaRacer
11-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Carb Shop was awesome when I used them. Loved Brad Urban till he passed away but they still do great work.

smhigh
11-02-2008, 08:41 PM
We're running a Carb Shop 850 on our Nova and it works fantastic.

Tom Vogel
11-03-2008, 07:47 PM
I have a Carb Shop 925. Its Beautiful. Wish I could post a picture. Its a thing of Beauty for sure.

Skip Fix
11-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Carb Shop modified Q jet while Brad was still running it. Came back with shavings still in the bowls from drilling passages larger, idled worse than a factory one of the same model, the bal b earings they used to block off the factory internal air bypass(like drilling holes in Holley butterflies) one was loose and floating around. I wasn't impressed with the quality especially having easily visible shavings in it.

EricButler
11-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Another option is Prosystems. I have one on my car and it works awesome. I had to change a few settings on it when I got it. They have awesome tech support though to walk you through any changes that need to be done for your setup. You get 24x7 tech line acces with your carb also.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif (http://www.slide.com/s/6H3XrX5vvD9fqyyF-shUUR7GI_CiiCWf?referrer=hlnk)

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif (http://www.slide.com/s/ZP6PewPl5j8BVDL6_Si_QsEGEPPqtn1Y?referrer=hlnk)