PDA

View Full Version : Procharger and Power Brakes

buns
01-13-2008, 10:39 PM
I believe the device circled in the picture below is called a check valve and that it will only allow air to flow in one direction (out). Basically, I just wanted to re-assure myself that once the engine is under boost that there is no way for pressurised air to enter the vacuum chamber. Is this valve up to the task of stopping pressurised air, or is there something more " high tech" that I can use?

I realise that in normal driving conditions you let off the gas before you step on the brakes, but having been the victim of a stuck throttle pedal in my rear engined dragster.........I would rather be safe than sorry.

And, yes, I did crap my pants.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/01/vettepowerbrakebooster005checkvalve-1.jpg

Blown353
01-14-2008, 12:24 PM
You are correct. That is a check valve and will keep manifold pressure from pressuring the booster and making them reverse-power brakes (i.e. working against your foot!)

A bad check valve can produce "interesting" results.... been there, done that, was powerbraking an automatic-tranny turbo car with a bad check valve and next thing I knew the pedal pushed my foot off... LOL

If you're really paranoid, buy a good quality viton-lipped spring loaded brass checkvalve and plumb it in-line with the factory plastic one.

And, yes, I did crap my pants.

LMAO... but TMI!

buns
01-14-2008, 10:51 PM
If you're really paranoid, buy a good quality viton-lipped spring loaded brass checkvalve and plumb it in-line with the factory plastic one.

Thanks for the info, but I searched high and low on the Interweb and could not come up with a source for one. Any ideas?

Tiger
01-15-2008, 03:10 AM
I bought a ball check valve for another use from McMaster Carr a while back, I dont know if that would do for you.

Blown353
01-15-2008, 06:59 AM
Yep, McMaster-Carr would be my easy-to-find recommendation too.

Finch
01-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Based on first hand experience I recommend looking into a hydroboost system. I tried many things on my Pro-charged 2nd gen and adding Hydroboost was the end all cure. By the picture you posted it looks like your dealing with a 66 vette. I just installed a hydroboost in a 66 for under $200 and it fits nice. If you plan on doing any serious track driving you might want to consider this.

just my .02