PDA

View Full Version : Which Posi?

LT1Nova
01-23-2005, 08:42 AM
Has anyone used the Detroit TrueTrac unit? Any other recommendations for a posi unit for a 9" ford?

parsonsj
01-23-2005, 10:07 AM
I talked to the fellows over at West Coast Differentials (http://www.differentials.com) who set up lots of 9" rears for SoCal racers.

He said if I wanted to buy something and have it be reliable and consistent, get a locker, especially if I was over 500 hp. Lockers tend to push through a turn, and that's often desirable. Also, since I've not spent much time on a road course before, I'll learn to drive the car with the locker and it won't be anything to unlearn.

He also said the various Trac (TrueTrac, DiamondTrac) LSDs were nice, but tended to scatter when hit with serious power.

His final convincing argument was that Vic Edelbrock just brought all their race cars in to be converted to Lockers. Apparently Vic was tired of all the reliability problems of other diffs. If someone with way more money, experience, and advice than me ends with a locker after trying the various posi and truetrac options, then that's a good place for me to start.

So I bought a complete Detroit Locker 3rd member from Moser with aluminum case, 3.25 bearings, 3.25 ratio, and 35 spline axles. Hopefully that's a headache avoided.

jp

USAZR1
01-23-2005, 01:30 PM
I'm running a Detroit Locker in my car's Fab 9 rear and it works very well for me.