PDA

View Full Version : Some new pics

Conekiller13
01-23-2005, 12:41 AM
Here are some shots of the new frame mods. Yes the frame is upside down in one shot. Whatta think?

wickedmotorhead
01-23-2005, 12:57 AM
Rock on :headbang: Looks really good. Did you use one piece to box the main rail? Watch out, the A-Bodies are taking over!!

slownova
01-23-2005, 10:23 AM
be careful when i boxed my chevelle frame i bent it... so be careful

skeevay
01-23-2005, 12:46 PM
Nice job....looks great!

Ralph LoGrasso
01-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Lookin' good, Dan!!

awr68
01-23-2005, 03:16 PM
Looks GREAT!! I just might beet you to the finish line yet!! :)

BRIAN
01-23-2005, 06:39 PM
Nice looking but I also have to ask did you weld that thing without any bracing? Be carefull not to twist that sucker up. NIce welds but that front section should have taken you about an hour if not braced to cool properly between welds. Not preaching just don't want to see you with wraped frame.

Conekiller13
01-23-2005, 09:45 PM
Thank's Ya'll............Yea We welded stuff slow. Been taking measurements to make sure things are good. Each side is actually made of 5 pieces. The welding was done in small sections over a two week period, everything still measures straight so far. Made the lower brackets for the coil overs this week and made some notches in the rear frame rails so the shocks can stand up right. I forgot to take My camera this week so I'll try and put some more up next week. :jump:

protour_chevelle
01-24-2005, 06:30 AM
Looking great Dan!

Now get that rear suspension finished and dialed so I can do it too. lol.

-Matt

69boo307
01-24-2005, 08:43 AM
Looking great! One suggestion I'd have is to consider making an X-brace kinda thing in beneath the passenger compartment area. Maybe a crossmember and x-brace a couple feet behind the trans crossmember. that would greatly stiffen the chassis. I have such a setup with my truckarm kit, but you could do it regardless of your rear suspension setup.

Conekiller13
01-24-2005, 11:02 AM
Looking great! One suggestion I'd have is to consider making an X-brace kinda thing in beneath the passenger compartment area. Maybe a crossmember and x-brace a couple feet behind the trans crossmember. that would greatly stiffen the chassis. I have such a setup with my truckarm kit, but you could do it regardless of your rear suspension setup.

There will be a second cross member with a driveline loop just behind where the front seats go. This will also be a tie in point for the cage. The cage will be going through the floor directly to the frame.

Conekiller13
02-06-2005, 06:08 PM
Here are some more of the evolving rear suspension set up. Set the body back up to check clearences..........gonna have to change a couple things.

Conekiller13
02-08-2005, 06:42 PM
No ones got any more comments? :crying:

Piet
02-08-2005, 07:03 PM
Still Nice?

F70t/a
02-08-2005, 07:28 PM
Looks really good. what kind of welder are you using?

protour_chevelle
02-08-2005, 07:28 PM
Looks swanky Daniel! I like the tranny tunnel!

-Matt

Conekiller13
02-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Thanks..............I was getting little lonely. Uh.....the welder is one of those blue one's. Actually it's not mine. In the shop I'm working on it at there are two differnt size mig welders and a tig welder. The guy that own's the place is doing all the "Real" welding but I'm learing. All those crappy spot welds on the tunnel are all mine!

Steve Chryssos
02-08-2005, 10:04 PM
Looks great. I like this one the most. Great idea.
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2017

Whattya got for a motor?

Conekiller13
02-09-2005, 08:17 AM
Looks great. I like this one the most. Great idea.
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2017

Whattya got for a motor?

Do You mean the zip tie is a great idea? :drool: No upper mount yet......... :rolleyes5 The Motor is the same GM performance parts crate motor I've been running for years. This rebuild includes new Dart II aluminum heads 220cc runners, a fairly healthy cam that I don't remember the specs on and an edelbrock air gap manifold. Guessing it should be around 400hp. The heads are a bit large but the will be enlarged to a 406ci at some point in the not too distant future( hopefully with twin turbos also).

Steve Chryssos
02-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Yeah--I saw that wire tie. Let me know how that air gap works out I want to yank the Victor Jr off of my 406.

blazer4corners
02-09-2005, 11:46 AM
I reaallly like the valve covers ....where did you get them and how much where they?That is if you don't mind tellin

Conekiller13
02-09-2005, 12:50 PM
The valve covers are from Pro-Form. I think they retail around $314.00 for the pair. You may have to hunt for them......I had to special order Mine.

airrj1
02-10-2005, 07:18 AM
On your first photo of the inside of the front horn of the frame. Did you double plate the frame there? Or is that a section that you replaced?

I really like the idea of the coilovers on the rear of an A-body. It is a good way to spread the springs w/o cutting into the frame rails. When your get some photos of the upper mounts please post. It is an interesting project.

One question, with your coilovers what is the depth of them from the C/L of the axle front to rear? I don't think you are running a PHB or a Watt's link, but if you were would the coilovers require you to mount it further back than just behind the center pumpkin of the axle?

BTW :bananna2: Nice work.

Salt Racer
02-10-2005, 07:41 AM
I thought you could run AFCO C/O upside down? Or do you have to run it that way for coil clearance? How do you like those F1 tires?

RJ,
You can run C/Os ahead of axle tubes. Loss of motion ratio is very minor.

Tiger
02-10-2005, 12:13 PM
would you mind to get over here to Italy to do a tunnel for me as well??

Ciao
André

Conekiller13
02-10-2005, 06:38 PM
would you mind to get over here to Italy to do a tunnel for me as well??

Ciao
André

I'd love too...........are You buying?

airrj1: Yes that area of the frame is double plated. While the car was sitting with the front end off with jack stands under the frame in that area, I noticed how much flex the frame had right there. I figured a litle gusseting couldn't hurt. The coilovers are about the same depth back as the stock rear shocks would be. WIth this configureation a PHB or Watts link shouldn't be necasary. The GW lower arms do a fantastic job of locating the rearend.

Salt Racer: You can run those Afco's inverted which is what I'll do in front. In the rear I could'nt get the clearence to get the shocks upright enough with the upside down. The tires are Kuhmo V700 victoracers. They are the absolute coolist tire ever!!! I think the V stands for Velcro!

protouring70
02-11-2005, 05:17 AM
I was wondering, did some of the convertibles come with a boxed frame or was that like on the conv. 55's and so on?

Conekiller13
02-11-2005, 06:03 AM
Yes, the vert's did have a boxed frame.

SS Drifter
02-15-2005, 05:35 PM
Cone - Is it your car that has the dual Wilwood master cylinder set-up in the interior? How do you like it? Pics?

TitoJones
02-15-2005, 08:39 PM
Daniel-

Long time no talk. Looking real good there. Might I bug you to Email me @ t56kit at Gmail Dot com So I can ask you some stuff?
Tyler

Conekiller13
02-15-2005, 10:40 PM
Cone - Is it your car that has the dual Wilwood master cylinder set-up in the interior? How do you like it? Pics?

Yes that is a Willwood dual. I didn't get a chance to try it on the track before I took everything apart again but I put about 200 street miles on it. It's worked great so far.

Conekiller13
02-15-2005, 10:42 PM
Daniel-

Long time no talk. Looking real good there. Might I bug you to Email me @ t56kit at Gmail Dot com So I can ask you some stuff?
Tyler

Tyler......You have mail.