PDA

View Full Version : 67' Chevy II Suspension Options

fnengineer
01-10-2008, 06:25 AM
Hello,

I am currently working on a 67 nova, I thought I had it all planned out but the more reading/research I do the more questions I have.

The car will be used for the occasonal Sunday drive, maybe a few trips to the local street legal drags and our new local raceway (Miller Raceway). So I realize I can't have the best of everything.

I am planning on 17X8" on the front and 18X10" on the rear: Advice? Comments?

434" sbc with a TKO 600 5 speed

Here was my original plan: Hiedts or TCI front clip, I was leaning towards the TCI clip since it is 1" more narrow. But after reading on here I get the impression that it is better than stock but may not be the way to go??

On the rear I was also looking at the TCI or Hiedts 4-link kit. Again I think I was leaning towards the TCI...it appears to be a stronger setup. And again after some reading it appears that many may prefer to stay with the leaf springs? I am looking for some more advice, experience, pro's, con's. Can I safely get the car with a low stance with the leaf springs?

I am going to do the mini-tub regardless of what rear suspension I decide to go with.

Thanks

novanutcase
01-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Sounds like you want to build a daily driver with some grunt! The TCI stuff should be fine. As far as getting the car low it depends on how low you want it that will dictate if it is doable or not!

John

fnengineer
01-10-2008, 08:32 AM
John,

I was hoping you would reply...I love the way your car sits but realistically I don't think I will get it that low with my plan, I am hoping I can get it close. Doable???

thanks

Mike

ProdigyCustoms
01-10-2008, 11:20 AM
We have sold a fair bit of Chris Alston Chevy 2 clips, and like all CA stuff is the best of quality. I like the CA stuff much better then the TCI stuff, and it is hardly more money.

onebad2
01-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Go CA Chassisworks, and you wont have any problems getting the car low at all.

wiedemab
01-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Alston also has the G-bar for that application too---I think.

fnengineer
01-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestions...I will give chassisworks and prodigy a call I am open to all options. Any idea on whether or not 17X8's will work up front? Or what back spacing to use?

thanks

Mike

rob07002
01-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Backspacing will be determined by which sub you choose. Some may have a different track width then stock.

BossaNova
01-10-2008, 02:33 PM
67 Chevy II eh? Nice choice.

I don't think you will ever find anyone who bought a Chassisworks front clip that wishes they hadn't. That's all I'm gonna say.

You can run a 17x8 wheel on the front with a 4 1/2" backspace. The CW website tells you a 225 will fit. My salesman said that you can go bigger. So, _I_ will go with 235's.

CW sells a g-bar for 2nd gen Nova's. I don't think it's on their website. However, CW uses Air Ride Technoligies 4-link and substitues their coil overs.

Call 1-888-388-0201 ext 221 to have your questions answered.

And no, I don't work for these guys. Just a satisfied customer.

-Mark

ProdigyCustoms
01-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Mark, you are hired! LOL!

Mike if you want I have a quote I just did for another 67 Chevy 2 were doing, I could send it to you so you know exactly where you will be $$$$$$$

novanutcase
01-11-2008, 12:25 AM
John,

I was hoping you would reply...I love the way your car sits but realistically I don't think I will get it that low with my plan, I am hoping I can get it close. Doable???

thanks

Mike

You just need to be sure that lock to lock you don't hit the fenders. Unfortunately our year fenders aren't very compliant when it comes to slamming the car! You'll need to run a fairly narrow track width in comparison to ratios that other cars have but it can be done with some pretty good results but it'll take time, patience and money!

John

P.S. CA does make a great clip!

David Sloan
01-13-2008, 07:13 AM
67 Chevy II eh? Nice choice.

I don't think you will ever find anyone who bought a Chassisworks front clip that wishes they hadn't. That's all I'm gonna say.

You can run a 17x8 wheel on the front with a 4 1/2" backspace. The CW website tells you a 225 will fit. My salesman said that you can go bigger. So, _I_ will go with 235's.

CW sells a g-bar for 2nd gen Nova's. I don't think it's on their website. However, CW uses Air Ride Technoligies 4-link and substitues their coil overs.

Call 1-888-388-0201 ext 221 to have your questions answered.

And no, I don't work for these guys. Just a satisfied customer.

-Mark

As the installer of Marks CA Chassisworks frame iam very pleased with it.
Top of the line in fit an finish.

fnengineer
01-17-2008, 07:26 AM
Again thanks for all the input.

Another questions: Power steering? Yes? No?

ProdigyCustoms
01-17-2008, 07:28 AM
With big front tires? Don't even think about manual steering!

novanutcase
01-17-2008, 07:49 AM
With big front tires? Don't even think about manual steering!

LOL! Unless you want to have arms like a bodybuilder!

John

jeff s
01-19-2008, 06:36 AM
An we have a bolt in full chassis for that car.
There's another thread here with pics.
Email me for pricing.
Thanks

steeryourite
01-24-2008, 08:49 PM
FN,
You may want to consider our steering kit. This and the CCP sub kit is less expencive and handles great.
check out http://www.unisteer.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=UNISTEER&Product_Code=8010650-01&Category_Code=CHEVROLET+CHEVYII