PDA

View Full Version : koni SA shocks for my 79

WS6
01-22-2005, 02:36 PM
would Koni SA shocks be a good choice for my stock sprung 79 TA? its got the WS6 package. im not sure on the springs rates, im still working on knowing that info. i figure the SA shocks will be a better choice than stock replacement, but i dont know if they will work with the stock springs well. any info is great. thanks

StaticAGE
01-22-2005, 04:11 PM
I believe for the WS6 with the 403 they were 414 in the front and 126 out back. There are a few guys on the http://classicalpontiac.com/ site that are running Konis with stock springs. I have them on my '77 TA, but I switched to Hotchkis springs all the way around when I did. A bit pricey when compared to stock replacement shocks, but I'm more than happy with mine.

Conekiller13
01-22-2005, 05:54 PM
They should work great. The Koni S/A are about the best "Cheap Shock" out there.

WS6
01-22-2005, 06:41 PM
well at this point in the game i dont need an all out shock, but an upgrade thats worth the money is ok in my book. ive got a line on some force ten calipers from SSBC. two years old never been used $250 bucks. they are four piston calipers and are supposed to clear the stock 15x8 snowflakes. to me thats worth it, i havent checked out all the specifics yet, but i think theyll work just fine

static could you give me more info on the springs you chose? drop, ride quality, change in rate. any pics? springs arent on the list of things im going to replace this time around, but i might have to make an exception

StaticAGE
01-22-2005, 07:30 PM
I'm using the Hotchkis springs. They are 600lbs up front and i believe around 250lbs for the leafs (they don't say that, but i read it somewhere when I was doing research on springs). With 255/60/15's there is about and inch of gap in between the front tire and fender lip and in the rear it is about and inch and a quarter. Looks alot better than with the stock springs but isn't quite were I wanted it. I was hoping for the FireAm look but now realize that would have been a bit low.

Ride quality with just the coils and Koni shocks improved greatly. No more bottoming out and the car felt alot more stable. But...after the front end rebuild and new springs, I realized just how bad the rear felt with the stock springs. The Hotchkis leafs degraded the ride quality quite a bit, giving it a bouncy ride. If I ever get around to adjusting the shocks to a softer setting, it may get rid of that.

With that being said, I am still very happy with everything. Handling has improved a ton over the stock setup. It feels very solid in the corners. There are a few turns near my house that I could barely take at about 25mph without losing, now I can hit them going 40+ and it sticks. Same way getting on the interstate. If you're going to do anything with the suspension, it is best to do it all at once. Improving one aspect just makes everything else that much worse. (New steering box is next on the list.)

I'll try to get some pictures to you in the next few days.

It's always nice to see another 2nd gen TA on here.

WS6
01-24-2005, 04:08 PM
very cool. im actually debating on whether or not to run solid body bushings on the front. that alone should drop the car 1/2" up front. im worried about the wheels hitting the fenders more so than the headers scrapping anything. if i go with springs as well. the headers im just going to weld on a skid plate to them then have the coated. im using 255/60s as well on my 8" snowflakes. do let me know how going with a softer setting in the rear works out for you. id rather be jolted than bounce personally. and yes pics would be very nice. late second gen firebirds and TAs are the best looking cars ever made to me.