PDA

View Full Version : Cool late model tilt/tele cruise/wiper conversion (GM)

69Myway
01-22-2005, 03:38 AM
Hey guys, I hope you are able to get some benefit from my latest excursion into the "how did he do that" world.

I am putting a tilt/tele column from a 1981 Vette into my 69 Camaro. It is actually a very straight forward job. Plus, you can squeeze in the cruise and wiper switch (column mount), no problem.

First of all, get a column 1969-1982 from a Vette. Prices range from $100 to $450 depending on condition.

Second, line it up with your stock Camaro/Nova or whatever column and weld nuts to it that will accept the mount bracket in the correct location. Next, cut off the Corvette lower support flange. You can do a variety of mods to your stock Camaro lower collar to get it to wrap around the Vette column and hold it in place.

I installed a rack and pinion, so I welded the rack socket into the end of the Vette column shaft. Depending on what you are running you will need to consider a variety of mods here to get to your steering box or rack shaft.

Next...simply bolt it in.

Now, here is the cool twist that you can't get from a IDIDIT column. You can run stock OEM switches including cruise, delay wiper, and high beam column mount.

If you are going to run delay wipers you will need to dremel the hole slightly larger on the window opening for the blinker shaft. Quick five minute mod. You will press out the blinker shaft pin and slip in a delay wiper switch and press the pin back in. Now you can also pop on a cruise shaft. HERE IS THE COOL SCOOP!

Audiovox has a a/m cruise unit that will wire direct to a GM cruise switch! The actuator is small enough to hide under the dash.

Now...you can also run a late model wiper motor of your choice from virtually any GM car. The older wiper switch and motor was activated off a ground signal. Your new one will be activated off a 12+...but WAIT! I am virtually positive you can connect the late model signal switch to negative instead of 12+ and it will then feed grounds out to the motor meaning you can easily now use your stock older wiper motor!

Just thought I would share, since this opens up a cool set of mods for anybody building a custom install and wanting to move or get rid of the wiper switch from the dash. This is opening a nice spot for my NOS panel and gauge!

Oh...and your floor mount dimmer will plug straight into the column dimmer.

All of this will also apply to simply slamming in any late model tilt column, but the tele is just cool stuff.

Thanks!