PDA

View Full Version : Identity crisis...Camaro/Impala....

skeevay
01-21-2005, 10:14 PM
Hi all, I have been hanging around the forum for a couple of months now and am impressed with the amount of knowledge and quality projects going on here. I am looking forward to learning and sharing. My name is Skip and I am working on a 1965 Impala SS that I acquired when I was 14 (21 years ago already!!). I have done numerous things to it over the years...countless engines, transmissions...etc..you know the story. This time I am going to do a version of the "Pro tour" thing. This is a "more time than money" project (so no laughing! :icon_razz ). I stripped my donor car (96 Camaro SS) and am using everything off it that is feasable (and some parts that are not). So far I have built a custom sub-frame to hold the Camaro K-member and suspension and grafted it to the original frame. I have also fabricated a new firewall and modified the cowl to accept the Camaro air conditioning, booster, steering column, and wiper motor. I also plan on using the LT1 (with yet undecided power adder) and 6 speed trans. Rear suspension is also undecided as of yet....maybe "truck arm"....what do you guys think??

Skip

zbugger
01-21-2005, 10:32 PM
First of all, welcome to the site.

Now, what do we think? Hmmm.... Are you sure you want to ask us this? Well, Skip, since you put it out there, I say three link. You've done quite a bit so far, and it looks rather impressive to me. Very good work so far. Keep us all up to date on your bad ass ride.

Ralph LoGrasso
01-21-2005, 11:33 PM
Welcome to the site, Skip. Nice work on the Impala so far! I agree with Allen on the 3-link for the rear suspension.

derekf
01-22-2005, 07:40 AM
Most impressive, Skip, welcome to the site. You know we're going to ask for lots more pics of the stuff you've already done, right?

MuscleRodz
01-22-2005, 08:36 AM
Welcome. I love the idea on using the 4th gen K member. Several of us have brought that up as a cheap performance front suspension, but no one has a platform wide enough to stuff it under. I would definitely suggest down tubes tied to your torque boxes to keep them from twisting off the frame. Truck arm would be cool under that big car as well.

Mike

phonedude_mln
01-22-2005, 10:15 AM
lookgs good -- love the big cars... here is a 65 w/ an orig 409 (!)

http://superchevy-web.com/features/0208sc_40nine/

skeevay
01-23-2005, 12:39 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome. By your coments and seeing other's projects on the board here, I am inspired to stop dragging my feet and get some work done.

MuscleRodz, thanks for the input. The boxes each have about 28 linear inches of weld connecting them to their respective frame rail.....they shouldn't be going anywhere...lol :fingersx:. However, I do have plans for fabricating a strut tower type brace to add further rigidity. I have also reinforced the top center of the firewall and cowl to add a triangle brace to it and the box towers as an additional option.

Phonedude, I read about that 65 in Super Chevy, and had used a photo of it as my computer desk top for awhile....gotta love a big Chevy with a 409!

thanks again, and I will try to update with photos as I progress.

Skip