PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Vintage Air Sure Fit questions.

Rileys68Camaro
01-21-2005, 09:25 PM
I have the Surefite system, but I'm having trouble with the way it's installed.

Actually, I want to make sure it was installed correctly by my idiot mechanic.

The compressor is on the drivers side, with the hoses running through a 4 hole round bulkhead in the firewall. But I have a large plastic panel that has four holes vertically in it for the hoses.

Should I put the vertical part in? Is the compressor on the correct side?

How do I run the hoses? They seem way long and get in the way.

I can't figure out what system I have, the one for the car with factory A/C or the one without. I can't make sense of the invoice or the instructions since I can't figure out what kit I have.
The car had factory A/C.

Charley Lillard
01-21-2005, 09:58 PM
All that i have seen have the compressor on the pass side.

Conekiller13
01-21-2005, 11:05 PM
My kit was a sure fit kit for a '70 Chevelle as they don't have one for '71. The compressor mounts on the driver side, the hoses pass through a round four hole plastic piece that mounts in the stock blower motor hole. My car was a factory air car.

V/A has a bunch of different components to run the lines throught the firewall, inline, square and round billet and plastic. V/A has had great customer service every time I've had to call, give them a call and explain Your concers and I'm sure they'll either put Your mind at ease or make You very mad at Your installer. :Alchy:

Rileys68Camaro
01-22-2005, 05:02 PM
I'm already pissed at the installer, he wasn't even supposed to touch the A/C system, should never have left it in the car.

He wasn't a V/A authorized or recommended guy by the way....

Rileys68Camaro
01-24-2005, 07:24 PM
Well, figured out the kit. I have the kit for 68 Camaro with factory air. Near as I can tell the compressor goes on the passenger side, the mechanic did it wrong!

Also, why are the hoses so long? Like 3 feet to long.

Rileys68Camaro
02-02-2005, 07:47 PM
I found my order form that specified my alternator was on the pass side, so that's why the long hoses.

But I want it on the pass side for a cleaner install, and need to find some brackets for the alternator on the driver side and whether I should switch to a short water pump.

1968SS
03-01-2005, 06:39 AM
I am currently installing the VA GenII unit in my 68 Chevelle. I moved my alternator to the driver's side and mounted the compressor on the passenger side. You can order the brackets from VA or Alan Grove (this is what VA provides) They are fairly pricey but of good quality. The guy I talked to at Alan Grove says that if you have power steering, you will need the long pump. Give them a call if you have questions. As for the hoses, you can cut them off once you get the compressor mounted on the pass. side. Just order two more ends and have a local A/C shop swedge them on. Of course if the system is charged, you will have to have an A/C shop evacuate the system. Hope this helps.
Cheers
Steve