PDA

View Full Version : MC for C4 swap

wendell
01-21-2005, 06:55 PM
I didn't want to jump on Rileys thread so...
I've got most of a C4 front/LS1 rear swap worked out in my mind. One of the questions remaining is, what master cylinder is appropriate for a manual braking aplication? I understand that the 89 S-10 is often used for vac assist, but I'm looing for a manual system for simplicity. Is a manual system what I want? Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks for your input, Jensen

Rileys68Camaro
01-21-2005, 08:49 PM
Don't worry about jumping :), I'd like to know the answer to your ? as well

Spitfire44
01-23-2005, 04:00 PM
Here's some notes I had copied for a C4 front with rear drums. Use a 15/16" MC from a 77 Chevelle malibu 6 cyl manual disk/drum and have found good pedal response using Hawk HP Plus pads. This is an iron MC but, hey, it's only $25. Tried Perf Friction but wasn't happy with the high pedal effort. I changed to Hawk HP Plus and am very pleased. Not exactly a direct fit as the front/rear ports are reversed. You'll have to fab lines. It is a direct bolt-on. Good excuse to learn brake line flaring!

wendell
01-23-2005, 07:05 PM
Spitfire,
Thanks for the info. I'm planning on running LS1 discs in the back. The rear discs should require a little less volume than the drums. Maybe a 7/8th? I really want to get it right so I don't have to dither down w/ a lot of proportioning valve. I haven't got into pads yet but will give the Hawk HPs a good look when the time comes. Thanks for the advise.
Jensen

Rick Dorion
01-24-2005, 04:43 AM
That was me and, yes, Hawk pads make a significant difference. I personally would use an adj prop valve since it gives you flexibility.

wendell
01-25-2005, 05:38 AM
Thanks, Rick
I'm planning on running a proportioning valve. Do you think the 7/8 MC is a good place to start for a manual braking aplication? The MC is the last piece to the puzzle.
Thanks for your time, Jensen

Rick Dorion
01-25-2005, 06:51 AM
Not sure so I hesitate to recommend anything.

I do want to comment , though, that although the Hawk pads made a great improvement, I'm not satisfied with the effort in manual mode and myself am putting in a hydroboost setup.

wendell
01-25-2005, 07:24 AM
Rick,
I respect your unwillingness to commit on this. Brakes keep you from hitting things in your car. Because of this importance, I'm soliciting as many opinions as I can. I'm starting to get the idea that with out a dual MC/balance bar set up I'm going to have a hard time getting my manual brakes to feel good. From what I've gathered, vacuum assist set ups have a much wider margin. I've been hesitant because the stock set up is manual. Hydroboost is more money and work than I'd like to get into this year.

Here's a new question. What does it take to install a vacuum assist MC on a manual car? (I have pelnty of vacuum w/ a near stock 327)