PDA

View Full Version : stereo options

ponchopwr70
01-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Well I need some help deciding what to get for a system. I had put a jvc cd player with 2 pioneer 2way 6x9's in the package tray 5 years ago. It sounded very good and pretty loud. The cd player in my truck broke so I ripped the one in my car out and put it in there. Now I don't have anything. I'm going to be redoing my interior and adding sound deadner (I have no sound deadner now.) I don't really listen to the stereo much (had to turn the volume up to 35 just to hear it over all the noise,) but I want to have good sound. So here are my options:
1- have my factory radio rebuilt for fm/am with i-pod plug in, with the 2 6x9's.
2- buy a nice head unit like an alpine, 6-1/2 speakers in the kick panels and 6x9's in the package tray.

The interior is mostly stock but I don't mind putting a cd player in the dash. Also I don't want subs or an amp, less wires the better.

RSX302
01-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Well I need some help deciding what to get for a system. I had put a jvc cd player with 2 pioneer 2way 6x9's in the package tray 5 years ago. It sounded very good and pretty loud. The cd player in my truck broke so I ripped the one in my car out and put it in there. Now I don't have anything. I'm going to be redoing my interior and adding sound deadner (I have no sound deadner now.) I don't really listen to the stereo much (had to turn the volume up to 35 just to hear it over all the noise,) but I want to have good sound. So here are my options:
1- have my factory radio rebuilt for fm/am with i-pod plug in, with the 2 6x9's.
2- buy a nice head unit like an alpine, 6-1/2 speakers in the kick panels and 6x9's in the package tray.

The interior is mostly stock but I don't mind putting a cd player in the dash. Also I don't want subs or an amp, less wires the better.

Definitely add the speakers up front and go with an aftermarket am/fm/cd/ipod input. Will sound better and some can have allot more power. Get the best you can for what you’re willing to pay. (and find a good sale) Brand is personal preference.

RSX302
01-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Another little side note; when looking for speakers, note the sensitivity decibels. Example: this will be 91db @ 1w/1m etc. The higher this number, the louder it will be. For every 3db increase, the speaker will be twice as loud with the same power input. Stay away from the 88-89db, try to find something around 91-93 db area.

ponchopwr70
01-04-2008, 05:55 AM
Thanks for the input. Thats seems to be the best option. The am stereo conversion to fm and a nice head unit is about $260. Whats a good brand of speakers? Should I keep the 2ways or go with 3ways? I really like the looks of the alpine deck, is there better ones for less money? I don't want jvc, the last one I had was junk. I don't mind spending $500 or a little more on the system.

JustinB
01-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Sorry not trying hijack you thread but I have been thinking of adding a system to my 69 Camaro but do not have a factory radio nor do I want to add a newer style head unit. I have heard that you can run a Ipod jack right off an amp and use that to power the speakers. Is this possible?

RSX302
01-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the input. Thats seems to be the best option. The am stereo conversion to fm and a nice head unit is about $260. Whats a good brand of speakers? Should I keep the 2ways or go with 3ways? I really like the looks of the alpine deck, is there better ones for less money? I don't want jvc, the last one I had was junk. I don't mind spending $500 or a little more on the system.

Alpine is good stuff...I've had issues at one time or another with a lot of top brands. Go with what you like(features,looks ect). I currently have the Clarion DRZ9255 which is a $1000 unit, and it even had an issue, but it’s all good now. Very nice piece. (Sound quality Rocks!)
I just stay away from too many mechanical goodies. More stuff to break...

Speakers are one of those items you will need to go to the local stereo store and listen to some. Brand is not a major concern. Some like a lot of highs, I for one like it mild and clean. Everyone has a different ear. Go with 2 ways coaxial in the front. Better choices...also remember about speaker efficiency...

I chose the CDT Audio HD series speakers because of the quality, sound and efficiency for the money. Not cheap but a whole lot cheaper then what I really wanted. I was looking at a set of $2500 front speakers. Then reality hit.

RSX302
01-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Sorry not trying hijack you thread but I have been thinking of adding a system to my 69 Camaro but do not have a factory radio nor do I want to add a newer style head unit. I have heard that you can run a Ipod jack right off an amp and use that to power the speakers. Is this possible?

Sounds possible...I'm not sure how the sound quality would be? Most amps are 0-5V input for RCA. Not sure if adaptors are sold or if you would need to make one. Buy a cheap ear piece and RCA cables. GO IPOD!

Jim Nilsen
01-06-2008, 07:58 AM
I have thought about going with just an XM radio head unit ,a pre-amp/amplifier and the speakers. What you use as an amp can be a wide choice. You can get units that are remote controlled or not and as much power as you want.
After talking to the XM guy at SEMA we figured a guy could have 100watts of power and good sound and it would only weigh about 8 to 10 lbs. and be so basic yet get any music you want and never have to mess with anything except a dial or push button. I prefer to be entertained and hate having to pick music. You don't get to hear what's new or something old you haven't heard if you pick what you want to hear.

So it seems that the choices are up to you and how much you want these days and how much you don't want. I am not even intersested in an Ipod or anything that I have to record or program the music in, it just seems so counterproductive to relaxing to the music. Maybe I am old and have seen the changes come and go and just got used to going the cheap route when it comes to music? What comes after the Ipod?
When they make a format that I can talk to and tell it what mood I am in and it can pick from every song ever made ,then We will have gone full circle and we will be back to asking the DJ to play you a song !!!! a time when things were simple and easy.

Music- you can pay for it or get it for free and it sounds just as good for free and I am still the same guy to me.:git:

cad
01-07-2008, 08:45 PM
A friend did setup his 62 with an iPod control box with an input jack that was then routed directly to his amps, and then out to the speakers.
He had no head unit. I would suggest calling or checking out Crutchfield for general info. He turns the system on and off with the iPod, and controls the volume with it.

CarlC
01-07-2008, 09:26 PM
The most difficult part for 1st-gens are the front speakers. There's just not a lot of room to put anything unless you go for custom kick or door panels.

I have removed the CD changer from mine and now use the CD inputs to connect an Ipod. What the CD input-to-Ipod adapters do is apply a resistance across two terminals on the plug so that the head unit knows something is attached. Once the head unit senses something is attached it will allow the user to toggle from radio to aux. input, but there would be no controlling the Ipod from the head unit. The head unit would act as an amplifier connector and volume control.

Since the CD player is just 5V, and my Ipod works great, it should be no problem to direct-input an Ipod into an amp. Heck, it's easy enough to splice one in and try.

ponchopwr70
03-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Well I decided to run 6.5 front speakers and 6x9 rears. I'm still not sure about head unit. I found a company thats will convert mine to am/fm with I-pod that puts out 180 watts 45x4. Would this be just as good as a pioneer or alpine head unit. Here's the link to the page.
http://mysite.verizon.net/caradio/stereo.htm

130fe
03-05-2008, 05:48 AM
I saw this one over at camaros.net http://yhst-95280463928743.stores.yahoo.net/retrosound-model-one-amfm-radio-w-infinimount-bracket-systm.html . Not mine but it might be an interseting setup. I am considering getting one though.

cad
03-05-2008, 06:43 AM
On my 68, I plan on one of these....$149 on Ebay. 4x50w, iPod aux port, 2 yr warranty, walnut to match the dash.
The mfg site is: http://www.casmfg.com/Camaro_Firebird_Radios.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camaro-67-68-Stereo-USA-2-Custom-Autosound-Walnut_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ80741QQihZ016QQi temZ260216549454QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

audioman
03-08-2008, 06:32 PM

yes
We did it on John Parson's "II Much" car