PDA

View Full Version : 69 Tinted glass

69ratfed
01-03-2008, 07:48 AM
Changing from clear to tinted (greenish-blue). Windshield already tinted. Pilkington or Auto City for tinted glass with logos. Which one has the best fit and finish or does one company deal with the other?

ProdigyCustoms
01-03-2008, 09:47 AM
We can do tinted with logos minus the windsheild for $600 + $80 freight

69ratfed
01-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Why is Pilkington higher in price? Is there a difference in glass from your to theirs? ie, thickness, fit and coloring?

avgasman
01-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Just bought a complete Pilkington kit for my project after spending hours on research. To answer your question, Yes, the fit, absence of waves, clarity, and tint quality are superior compared to any other manufacturer.

Check out some of the forums on Team Camaro for more info.

sellersrodshop
01-03-2008, 08:53 PM
i just retired from 22 yrs in the glass business, so here's a little more info. a few years back, pilkington bought out libbey-owens-ford (LOF) they were one of the two major oem glass suppliers for GM along with PPG. if you look at the stampings on original glass in your car, chances are, unless they have been replaced over the years, they will be one of the two, or a combination of the two. avgasman is correct, with pilkington being an oem supplier, the quality will be better than some of the secondary level manufacturers. hope this helps!

ProdigyCustoms
01-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Have not used the Pilkington so I cannot honestly speak on it. We do not sell much of the coded glass, most of what we sell is the smoked. We have no serious fit issues. But all repro glass is repro glass and nothing I have even found is original quality.

Back in the day I would spend $1100 to $1400 for glass kits dated and coded from OEM Glass at the time. It still in the end was repro glass.

My supplier swears there are only one set of molds.

sellersrodshop
01-03-2008, 09:09 PM
prodigy,
don't know if you have seen the process for code dating those, but its just a stencil that is made up & acid etched, similar to the security vin numbers added to glass on the new cars at the dealership. a high profit margin to say the least. all the major suppliers have their own molds. for instance ppg, who is a primary GM supplier, also makes glass to fit all the other brands. if ford, who owns their supplier, carlite had the only molds for ford products, they wouldn't sell glass to ppg, who would compete with them for the aftermarket business. thats why glass is really expensive for a new bodystyle that has just came out, the oem supplier has the market cornered until the others get their product developed & out on the market, then the oem supplier drops the price to be competetive. by the way, grew up in sanford, not to far from you.