PDA

View Full Version : Need a new fan.

Rileys68Camaro
01-21-2005, 02:42 PM
Looking for a new electric fan and don't want to run all over making one work.

350ci, Vintage Air, with a big block 4 core radiator.

I'm looking to put a Ron Davis or Be Cool in next year so I don't want to go all out on this one.

Thanks!

Tom Welch
01-21-2005, 07:49 PM
MkVIII Lincoln, Crown Vic. These cars have electric fans that will pull you down the road with the engine off.

streetk14
01-21-2005, 11:59 PM
I just installed my new 18" fan from dc control (www.dccontrol.com). It is very nicely done. It starts out as a stock cougar/T-bird fan. Then dc control adds the progressive controller, mounting brackets, and do a nice trim job on the shroud. I wish I had a digital camera so I could post some pics of it. It fit my radiator like a glove, and looks very clean. Even better, the install only required hooking 2 wires to the battery and inserting the temp probe into the radiator. I think the fan is rated at close to 5000 cfm at max output (about the same a a mark VIII). You could buy a mark VIII fan and a progressive controller, and do some wiring and fab work to save a little $$$. I went the easy route and bought a finished product. It sounds like you don't want to gather parts to make your fan work, so IMOP this is a good option.
Andy

gmachinz
01-22-2005, 05:13 AM
The Crown Vic fan doesn't move quite the airflow that the Mark VIII does but Brian does have great products! He has been catching up on his orders the past three weeks or so (two assemblers quit on him) and he should be up to speed by now-I emailed him last week. A couple other things to keep in mind is that if you are re-locating your battery to your trunk, get the surge protector that he offers. Also, while it is not mandatory, I would invest in a quality 100+ amp alternator. His instructions are very straightforward and he offers a lifetime warranty on his products now. -Jabin

Rileys68Camaro
01-22-2005, 05:00 PM
I've got a good alternator, that's one of my other problems is getting installed. Argh, can't find the right brackets to clear the fan on the alt.

Yep, I'd like a bolt and go thing. As I said, I'm going to go the full Ron Davis kit later.

will69camaro
01-23-2005, 12:16 PM
I just put the Mark VIII style fan on my 69 camaro, it fit PERFECTLY over the stock radiator. I'm not sure how it would fit with all the Ron Davis stuff. I believe the fan i got is from a 95 mustang GT. And Tom is right, it will pull you down the road with the engine off. I believe i heard it flows between 4700-5600CFM!

William

streetk14
01-26-2005, 08:04 PM
If you are looking for a good quality, high-flowing fan that is a direct bolt in then the one from DC Control is the way to go IMOP. I'm not bagging on the mark VIII fans, but Brian @ DC Control told me of some quality issues he has seen in them. In his opinon, the Cougar/T-bird fan is a higher quality product. Are you saying that the fan you buy now is only temporary? If you buy one of these fans, you won't want or need to buy another. The fan shroud is 22" X 19", so it should fit your factory radiator as well as an aftermarket radiator. Hope this helps,
Andy

Rileys68Camaro
01-26-2005, 08:16 PM
Maybe temp, cars not on the road so don't know.

I'm running a big block 4 core radiator to help with the A/C and automatic tranny.

gmachinz
01-28-2005, 03:55 PM
What problems exist with the Mark fans? I've talked to service techs at the dealers and they never report seeing hardly any issues with them. Might be a advertising thing for him. -G

streetk14
02-02-2005, 07:59 PM
All of dc control's fan assemblies are made to order, so he wasn't simply trying to sell me what he stocks. Brian told me that he could use a mark VIII fan if I wanted, but I trusted his opinon and went with the cougar fan. As far as the quality issues go, I believe he mentioned problems with production tolerances in the fan motors. He said that in the past he has had to modify the fans to correct the problem before it could be sold or used. He didn't mention of motor failures or that kind of thing. The FK-35 controller was designed specifically to power the mark VIII fan, so his experience with these fans is vast. I'm not trying to start battle, just relaying what I was told by an expert in this area.
-Andy

gmachinz
02-03-2005, 08:45 AM
No battles here-I just want to know what if any problem may exist with the Mark fan, since I have one and I know a lot of people who either have one or want to use one. I can see the problem areas with regards to possible assembling tolerance errors with the fans-but that goes with anything mass-produced I guess. I guess time will tell if the Mark fan is as durable as it is advertised to be. As a 2nd choice, I would go with the Taurus set-up only because Porchev swears by them. -Jabin

Tom Welch
02-24-2005, 05:50 PM
I believe that all of the fans mentioned will work well if properly installed. I have changed many electric fans and the worst seem to be Chrysler units installed in Jeep Cherokees.

Tim_in_NC
02-25-2005, 11:03 AM
How much was your DC Contronl Fan with the options you added?

If you don't mide me asking? :secret:

TIM