PDA

View Full Version : help with rust

daryn67
01-21-2005, 07:46 AM
I'm in the process of replacing all exterior sheetmetal on a 68 camaro. After removing all the damaged metal I've found all kinds of goodies sandwiched between panels. The thing I'm concerned with at the moment is all the rust on the inner structure. This rust is in locations never ment to be seen after the car was originally built and doesnt in any way seem to be eating away at the structure, but me being anal as i am, would like to know what proceedure should be followed to best protect my project. I've read several opionons that range from trashing the car to ignoring the rust.

Dipping is not an option here, so should I get it blasted and primed or brush what I can get to and be happy. Even blasting cant get to everything, so Im wondering if I should even bother with that.

Thank you in advance

Daryn

Happyfunballs
01-21-2005, 08:57 AM
A quick economical way is to clean up the rust and apply a rust encapsulator such as Eastwoods Corroless or POR 15. Every inner panel of my 67 convertible has a coat on it with one or the other. I sandblasted everything I could get to and coated everything else.

sunkistcamaro
01-21-2005, 09:08 AM
I agree with Happyfunballs 100%
Sandbast as much as possible and use Eastwoods Corroless or POR 15.
Good luck