PDA

View Full Version : Paint or no paint aluminum heads

Takid455
12-28-2007, 11:14 AM
Thoughts on painting Aluminum heads. I like the way the look in raw metal , but I don’t care for the way aluminum items corrode and look messy. Is there anyway to avoid this? This is for a cr that will be at shows but driven as well. Can a clear be used that wont yellow? Polishing and the maintenance that goes with it is out of the question for me. What paint wont peel or flake of the exhaust ports or is this a no win situation? I typically use DuPont ChromaOne, but even that browns on the exhaust ports.

Steve1968LS2
12-28-2007, 11:29 AM
You could have them clear powder painted but it's expensive due to how much masking is involved.

megaladon6
12-28-2007, 07:59 PM
VHT makes a high temp clear coat.

mpozzi
12-28-2007, 08:14 PM
Second the vote for high-temp clear. If you keep the engine compartment detailed and clean, the heads should be fine. I've had the engine in my '73 for over three years now and the engine looks great.

I guess you can polish a turd ...

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

CarlC
12-28-2007, 08:44 PM
Mine have a bit of both. See my website for more pics.

Jim Nilsen
12-29-2007, 05:48 AM
Zoop's might be the way to go too? A ceramic coating should hold up to the heat no problem. I would call Zoop's and find out what they say? could be as simple as making blockoff plates and washing them.

The people who make POR 15 also have some coatings that might work too ?

69TAPoser
12-29-2007, 06:10 AM
What about anodizing?

Phil

Takid455
12-29-2007, 06:40 AM
A fellow on another board mentioned this stuff. thoughts?

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/search.php

jeff s
12-29-2007, 08:01 AM
On a Pontiac exhaust port any paint will burn, except header paint, but that stuff in porous and gets dirty.

trapin
12-29-2007, 02:32 PM
Takid...I was in a similar situation with my LS1. It's all aluminum and I wanted to keep it that way but knew that aluminum gets nasty after awhile. The solution? Cast Aluminum Engine Paint from Duplicolor. I used it on my block and heads and it looks fantastic. You can get it at any good auto parts store.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/12/Jareds6th084-1.jpg?t=1198967040

jeff s
12-29-2007, 04:47 PM
I always paint the LS engines, usually silver acrylic urethane, with great results, but doesn't he have a pontiac 455? Exhaust ports are real long like an OLds, paint always burns on them.

Camaro_Kyle
12-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Hey Tony, that engine looks clean as a whistle. Did you do anything to your valve covers to protect them?

Takid455
12-29-2007, 09:53 PM
the paint on the LS! looks nice. However, the exhaust ports are separate from each other. All Buick - Olds - Pontiac engines have the center 2 ports next to each other thereby generating lots of heat and not enough area to dissipate it henceforth why most BOP engines have to paint on the exhaust ports. Also as jeff said, they have long port runners compared to the LSX's. Yes jeff, this is a 455 based engine. 474 after bore and offset grind. I think I will paint the intake and block the mid 70's deep metallic blue and try the alodine 1001 on the heads. worst case is they have to be retreated, painted or look ugly.

OneQuickCoupe
12-30-2007, 04:34 AM
You could try having Calico Coatings coat the inside of those exhaust ports to see how that works for you. Apply the clear coat and see. Haven't tried it myself however. Zoops seal is another good product for polished surfaces. http://www.calicocoatings.com/

D.J.

trapin
12-30-2007, 07:24 AM
Hey Tony, that engine looks clean as a whistle. Did you do anything to your valve covers to protect them?
I just washed them real good and painted them. They were painted seperately. What do you mean by protected? Are you talking about using engine covers to cover the coil packs? I am not planning on using those.

Camaro_Kyle
12-30-2007, 08:43 AM
I just washed them real good and painted them. They were painted seperately. What do you mean by protected? Are you talking about using engine covers to cover the coil packs? I am not planning on using those.

Perfect, just wanted to know if you painted them. I'm thinking about getting a pair of fabricated valve covers but I know they will look good for only 3 days before they start to oxidize get all grimy. I was thinking about covering the valve covers with some hi-temp clear, but it'll probably yellow pretty quick.

buickfunnycar.com
12-31-2007, 01:38 PM
paint them engine color to look like iron heads for that stealthy look...

go-fish
12-31-2007, 02:55 PM
If you plan on powdercoating anythig to look like aluminum I recommend "Speedboat Aluminum". Not sure what brand of powder but the powder manufacturer industry is standardized now so powder from different mfg.s should be similar.
Coaters can usually get any powder out there anyway. I had all my aluminum parts coated in this. It turns out looking like clear coated aluminum.

Vettebob1
12-31-2007, 04:12 PM
Have you run the that powdercoating and see how it holds up ???

go-fish
12-31-2007, 04:28 PM
The engine was dyno'ed alot (4 days). Dyno runs are usually short so it hasn't seen sustained heat very much except for the break in.
The shop that did the coating does the CAT engines that go in each of the Trinity Yachts (John Grisham, Richard Childress Trinity owners).
Childress actually called Gulf Coast Powdercoating to comment on the work after reciept of his boat.
Good enough for a guy like RC, good enough for me.

go-fish
12-31-2007, 04:39 PM
If you don't try powder coating you should look into the POR-15 hi-temp brush on engine paint. I looked into it and saw some results that looked absolutely outstanding. One guy at cuda-challenger.com had an engine fire and the stuff held up.
http://www.stoprust.net/POR-15-Engine-Enamel-Pint-p-18.html

65protourgto
01-01-2008, 04:24 PM
I wouldnt paint those heads if I were you. Just keep the engine bay clean and detailed and you should have no problem. If the heads are cast iron I would paint them, but on the exhaust ports you do multiple Dusting coats. I have found that is the only way to paint pontiac heads. Now if your going to paint the aluminum heads I would say do four coats of clear, but only dust it on.

Takid455
01-21-2008, 01:38 PM
I used the Alumiprep33 an dAlodine 1001. we'll see how it turns out. pics of teh engine are in my project thread

hectore3
01-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Classic Pontiac Blue in an automotive grade Sikkens paint system. :yum:

Adam's 55 Chevy
01-22-2008, 06:35 AM
Dust on clear after scotching up the surface slightly or use tinted epoxy primer and 2 light coats of 2 pack.

We have flaked engines with up to 4 coats of clear and they look good. It's all in the prep and execution not so much the product if you choose correctly.