PDA

View Full Version : GM Performance crate motor question

navyflyer72
12-27-2007, 09:12 PM
This may sound like a stupid question, but I have to ask. I have a GM Performance crate 350/290 (truck motor) and it has what appears to be a passenger side oil dipstick location, but my oil dipstick tube only fits in the driver side hole. What can I use to block off the hole on the passenger side? If it is not an alternate oil dipstick location(which I guess it isn't since the tube won't fit in it), what is it? Thanks in advance for any help.

Adam's 55 Chevy
12-28-2007, 01:29 AM
tap it and plug it (I did this with a slingshot engine) or use JB weld?

justasquid
12-29-2007, 11:08 AM
Is it reamed out and all the way through to the oil pan?

My guess, "and only a guess" is that it is not all the way through. It may just be a pilot they use before the machining process. That way, they can use either side of the engine. they would just machine (drill out) one side and leave the other alone.

ZZ430
12-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Included in every one of those is a plastic bag that contains steel plugs for that purpose.

navyflyer72
12-29-2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks for all the responses, to answer a few questions:

It is reamed all the way through, that's how I (unfortunately) found it, when hot oil was spewing out of it. I tried the plugs that came with the engine, none fit, even after freezing them overnight, is there a certain way to install these plugs? I was just bashing the hell out of them with a hammer, (not a lot of finess here).

-George