PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

absintheisfun
12-27-2007, 02:52 PM
I think I made a pretty big mistake...so don't laugh, I seek advice.

I went with LH and RH full length floor boards because the previous owner/builder put in horrible patches with tar and a little bit of weld. Couple that with the decay in the toe boards, it seemed to me a good idea to do that, rather than a full floor and new firewall.

So, got the passenger side in perfect. SOMEHOW, I welded in the driver side about 1/8" to 1/4" higher than the passenger side. I'm assuming this is a no-go situation and I'll have to go and get another driver side panel and cut out the old one.

Am I stuck with this only possibility? Is there anything else that I can do? If I leave it, will it be impossible to align and drive correctly (safely)?

HELP!??????

thanks

-mcw

SatisTraction
12-27-2007, 03:01 PM
all you would have to do is put a shim between the body bushing and the frame. broblem solved.

absintheisfun
12-27-2007, 03:06 PM
I haven't really measured the finals yet...but its around 1/4 higher in the front and 1/8 higher in the back...

That seems to me an awfully fat shim...is that safe?

SatisTraction
12-27-2007, 07:45 PM
I haven't really measured the finals yet...but its around 1/4 higher in the front and 1/8 higher in the back...

That seems to me an awfully fat shim...is that safe?

what do you think a solid body bushing is? it is a solid shim about 1" think.

x2cstang
12-28-2007, 06:16 AM
Even if you had to cut it out I don't think I would scrap the entire piece. A shim or two should do the trick. Most these old cars have shims in them from the factory anyway so it won't hurt to throw a couple in there.