PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Interior

JoshStratton
01-20-2005, 10:07 AM
Hey Kids.

Any ideas on whether or not you can dye, paint or do anything to original interior parts to give them new color? I have some 4th gen seats that are not the right color and I want to change it.

Anyone else try this? Have any pics?

derekf
01-20-2005, 10:52 AM
Eastwood had some paint (dye) that was supposed to work pretty well on plastic parts if you used it with their primer. I can't find it now at their site, but if I remember right the manufacturer was SEM. I've also heard that Vinyl dye works decently for plastic parts if they're properly cleaned.

As for changing things that aren't plastic, I'd think vinyl dye would be the way to go on vinyl seats as well.

67 455 Bird ragtop
01-20-2005, 11:06 AM
Try this link. Eastwood does still have these products by SEM.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/search/searchresultsmain.jsp?fresh=1&searchType=advanced&iMainCat=0&iSubCat=0&attribute14=0&attribute15=0&attribute16=0&RS=1&keyword=vinyl+dye

JoshStratton
01-20-2005, 01:24 PM
I am not necessarily looking for Vinyl paint. I am talking about the hard plastic parts, like the back covers for the 2nd gen, 4th gen seats. Think you can still use the same stuff?

boodlefoof
01-20-2005, 03:09 PM
I used dupli-color vinyl dye on my kick panels and it turned out pretty good. Not the most durable (can scratch it with a fingernail if you try) but it looks nice...

67 455 Bird ragtop
01-20-2005, 03:30 PM
I am not necessarily looking for Vinyl paint. I am talking about the hard plastic parts, like the back covers for the 2nd gen, 4th gen seats. Think you can still use the same stuff?

Yes ... This is what most people use to dye/paint their seat backs. Look at the site closley. There is a system to use this stuff. There is a primer and such. Might be a good idea to also request a free catalog. I plan on using this to dye the back of the 75 deluxe "horsecollar" seats. I have been told that the Landau Black is the best for black seats.

CAMAROBOY69
01-21-2005, 12:54 PM
With correct prep, primer you can paint the hard plastic parts and they can withstand a lot of abuse. It all depends on what paint you use to finish the job with. The cheaper you go the easier the paint will come off.

Milow68
01-21-2005, 12:57 PM
GOOD GOOD cleaning and prep will help a lot. Just like Adam said.
Brad

JoshStratton
01-27-2005, 07:47 PM
Anyone try putting POR on it? That stuff is awesome. I might give that a 'go'.