PDA

View Full Version : Floor replacement-seat frame supports and late model seats????

bretcopsey
12-21-2007, 08:51 PM
I'm working on a full floor replacement to get rid of the previous hack job done by a "body shop." Half pans were used previously and they were not installed well. The seat frame supports were cut up pretty bad as well as not being installed level.

In getting things together to do this, I've contempated buying new seat frame supports. However, I'm not going to use the stock seats. My question is this-I know the seat frame supports add structural stiffness to the floor. Would it be sufficient for me to instead use some 2"x2" tubing or something similar to construct my own design that would be a custom fit for my seats? I'm thinking two bars per side-one each for front and rear of the seat. The ends would be cut to fit at the appropriate angle, and each end would have a floor plate like what is used with a rollbar at the rockers and tranny tunnel. I would weld nuts inside the tubing for mounting the seats. I'll also have through the floor style subframe connectors.

Thoughts?

danbob67
12-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Sounds like a good Idea to me I bought the aftermarket seat bases for my car and they are like the old tin oil cans no where near as stiff as the originals. I got a set of recaros going in mine and probally gonna modify the brackets that are already on them from a mustang for my camaro.

MrQuick
12-21-2007, 11:12 PM
That would be best for fit and support. Once you get the seats in the shell it will be easier to see the need.

toxicz28
12-22-2007, 03:34 PM
I did it for the Racaros for my '69 Camaro. I used 2x3 tube 3/16" thick (I know, way overkill!) They're welded to the subframe mounts, tunnel, and rocker for the fronts. And welded to the tunnel, rocker, floorpan, and subframe connectors for the rears.

bretcopsey
12-22-2007, 08:38 PM
I did it for the Racaros for my '69 Camaro. I used 2x3 tube 3/16" thick (I know, way overkill!) They're welded to the subframe mounts, tunnel, and rocker for the fronts. And welded to the tunnel, rocker, floorpan, and subframe connectors for the rears.

Can you post some pictures? :fingersx: