PDA

View Full Version : By Pass Valve Vent or into the intake

JamesJ
12-20-2007, 04:18 PM
I am looking at my different options and the design of my by-pass valve.

The first questions is should I have it release into the engine bay (atmosphere) or should I send it into the intake of the blower?

The second question is what level of a by-pass valve should I use? What I am referring to is if the standard black valve that comes with the ProCharger sufficient or should I get the red one that is designed to handle more boost. Also there are other companies that make bypass valves that are smaller than the red one that ProCharger sells. Some call this a race version or a positive seal unit.

I have also heard that when you run 12psi or above that you need to dump the extra boost into the atmosphere and you need to run a better by-pass valve.

Any Ideas?
I am using a D-1SC that should make up to 12 pounds of boost. The motor is a 383 SBC . I will also be using an intercooler

HILROD
12-20-2007, 06:43 PM
Running that amount boost I'd say you need the regular pro-flow valve. That is the one I'm running. I guess you could run the race valve, but it's probably unneeded. Also I've heard of using two of the standard valves instead of one larger. I do know I installed one kit with the recirculating valve back into the intake, that pops the intake and it's mass airflow off almost every time after a high boost run, That guy wants to keep it quiet at all cost. I guess even the engine, as it goes dead lean when it pops off.

megaladon6
12-21-2007, 04:22 PM
does he have the dump before or after the MAF?

DeltaT
12-21-2007, 06:11 PM
I use a MAP setup and feed the bypass directly back into the air inlet adapter I made for the blower. I can't hear the bypass operate, which is what I had in mind. 383 with a FMIC running 11.7# off a Vortech V-2 T-trim. Bypass is a Vortech Mondo in case I ever upgrade...

Pix at my site.

Jim

My Site: http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk/id1.html

blown69nova
12-21-2007, 07:55 PM
By-passing heated air back into the blower is not the best idea unless low noise is of utmost importance.
I ran my D1SC with a Vortech Mondo, and it was LOUD under cruise/part throttle and when letting up on the throttle.
Steve

DeltaT
12-21-2007, 10:20 PM
Since it's is post-intercooled air, I don't feel too bad about it. And on a sleeper, yeah, I don't want sounds like that coming from the car.

Jim

JamesJ
12-22-2007, 03:31 PM
does he have the dump before or after the MAF?

I am running a MAP not a MAF

Low noise is not the most important thing but it is more important then a few HP for me.