PDA

View Full Version : Got a question for the engine builders in here....

Samckitt
12-20-2007, 12:26 PM
I converted my LT1 waterpump over to an electric pump & I read somewhere that I need to put a freeze plug in the hole in the front of the block where the bearing was for the shaft that drives the pump originally. A freeze plug didn't come with the pump motor, so do I need really need to put one there? Because there are 2 holes on either side & lower than this one that oil drains into the timing chain area from the lifter valley. I don't see that plugging this hole will make any difference.
Thanks

rocketman
12-21-2007, 09:58 PM
Yes it needs covered it will leak, take a piece of sheetmetal or aluminum a little bigger than the hole and JB weld it in place, if you can't find a plug

Samckitt
12-22-2007, 07:10 AM
How will it leak, there are two other oil drain holes just below it on either side that drain oil into the timing chain area? I have one in the timing chain cover where the shaft comes out to the pump itself.

Dave95Z28
12-22-2007, 08:18 AM
No need to plug the hole in front of the block. You just need to cover the hole in the timing chain cover like you already have done. I didn't do it with my solid roller LT1 and I had no problems at all.

Dave

rocketman
12-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Ok, I miss understood, I thought you mean't the time cover it's self, Sorry