PDA

View Full Version : getting ready

cougarfiend
12-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for bracing before removal of floor pans? Ive got a real project coming up and want to be sure that I'm doing it the best way possible

jilge71
12-19-2007, 07:52 PM
i braced the lower portion of the hinge pillar back to the quarter jamb pinchweld to pinchweld. then i braced roof to kick panelfrom one side to another like an x...i used black gas pipe from home depot instead of buying square tubing...14 dollars for a 20' stick and square tubing wasalmost two dollars a foot. i also took out the rockers so u might not have to do as much as i did...just keep it square and if not the floor wont go in untill it is if its a one piece.

rubadub
02-03-2008, 01:41 AM
You can add some bracing under the floor pans, by going from the inside of the rockers.

I have some pictures on how I'm doing a chevelle, under floor pan installation on my web site.

I don't know if your taking out the floor and rockers, but it might give you some ideas.

Rob

63SW
03-04-2008, 08:54 AM
I have some pictures of the one i just did . if you want to e-mail me direct i can send them to you.

[email protected]

my site attachment area is full right now!

WHAT I DID -
i used 1x1 square tubing and some angle iron.

1) for the door jam areas ( I also use when on the rotisserie) - take a 4" sect of 2x2 angle and drill holes so you can bolt to where the door hinges bolt up ( TOP HINGE IS WHAT I PREFER) / Bolt it up , take a length of 1x1 sq and weld one end to the center of the angle iron and one end to the pinch weld on the door jam area....( REPEAT FOR OTHER SIDE ).

2) i put a 1x1 sq tube from side to side JUST 3" under the dash .

3) 1x1sq UNDER THE CAR AT THE ROCKER/FLOOR PINCH WELDS - 1 at the rear just in front of the frame rails and 1 in front aprox. 10" back from the hinde posts ( About in linewhere the shifter would be ).

NOW I DONT KNOW HOW EVERONE IS DOING IT BUT I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THE FLOOR HAD TO GO IN THROUGH THE FRONT WINDHIELD AREA....I COULD GET IT TO DROP IN DUE TO THE DASH BEING IN THE WAY.....

I Finally went in through the bottom and it was a Breeze ..slide in from the front up to the rear window area till the front cleared and then it dropped right in place.

I clamped it in place at the rockers for a test fit , and used some 1/4-20 bolts place in a number of stratigic palces to pull it into place for a tight fit and the released the rocker clamps to adjust and reclamp for welding...