PDA

View Full Version : rear of car sitting way too high

69CamaroChesapeakeVA
01-19-2005, 04:38 PM
I replaced my rear mono leafs on my 69 camaro with 5 leaf multi's. It sits wayyyyyy too high now. I cant put lowering blocks on it more than 1 inch thick because the shock plate will hit the inside of the wheels. Will removing some leafs lower it down some??? If so, How many do I need to take out?? Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

streetk14
01-19-2005, 08:05 PM
You might be able to get them de-arched to lower the car. If I were you, I would buy a performance spring from Hotchkis or Global West. They will lower the car, and provide a good spring rate. By the way, did you torque the shackles when the car was on the ground? If you tightened them with the rear end hanging, that could make it sit high. Good luck,
Andy

baz67
01-19-2005, 08:46 PM
What springs did you put on your 69 and everything Andy said?

Brian

Piet
01-19-2005, 08:50 PM
You could always get a Mullet wig?

New springs always sit higher.... How much higher is it?

Tony@AirRideTech
01-20-2005, 06:24 AM
These guys are right on....... if you over tightened the shackle it could be causing a bind making it sit higher. Also new spring have to be driven on to get them to settle. Now if it is still sitting high after about a month... you have an issue. Yes removing some of the leafs out of the spring pack will lower the car but it will also reduce the ability for your leafs to maintain the axle which will result in excesive axle wrap. Axle wrap is an ugly thing......

69CamaroChesapeakeVA
01-20-2005, 03:19 PM
they came from matts classic bowties. They are 5 leaf multi's. I dont really want to have to buy new springs since the one's I bought are brand new. The shackles were not tightened with the axle hanging. The spring plates were the only thing that was tightened and it still sits up about 3 inches too high.

Piet
01-20-2005, 03:59 PM
5 leaf?...wow! hauling some dead bodies or something?

quadfather
01-20-2005, 04:31 PM
another way to lower it a little is to take the front spring perch and relocate the hole an inch higher . you will have to cut the top of the mount also for the spring eye to clear.

zbugger
01-20-2005, 05:50 PM
Piet, lots of 2nd gen Camaros came with 5 leaf's. My '77 had them.

You can remove a couple leafs. Pull them from the middle. The only issue you will notice is that the springs will be softer. Yes, it may affect the axle wrap issue, but you can fix that with the common traction bars. It will feel softer though. Could you get a pic of the rear to show us what you see? That may help a little.

CAMAROBOY69
01-21-2005, 12:52 PM
I would remove a couple leafs. Then if that doesnt get you the height you are looking for, just have them De-arched like mentioned above. Thats what I did with my car and I know a lot of other people have done the same thing to their cars. Cheap easy way to dial in the ride height. Keep in mind the rear will drop anywhere between 1/2" - 1" inch after about 50 miles. Most places will keep de-arching them for free after the first time until you are happy with your results.

kmcanally
01-21-2005, 02:00 PM
I would get the springs dearched....I had to get my Global West leaf springs dearched 2"...and if they sag another 1/2" to 1" after 50 miles I will have to put some arch back in them...and if my front coils come down any more then I will have to buy some new ones!

69CamaroChesapeakeVA
01-23-2005, 05:40 PM
I think I have it figured out. I just ended up removing the bottom leaf and the car sat down to about an inch from where I wanted it. I think with a few miles it'll settle pretty close to the perfect spot.

zuess4u
01-24-2005, 07:57 AM
And or you could replace the hangers with some rear spring sliders, this will do away with the shackles and lower the car 1 to 1 1/2 inches. Just a suggestion.

Piet
01-24-2005, 08:16 AM
Glad that will work out for you.... let us know the results.