PDA

View Full Version : Refurbishing rear end on 68 Camaro, need advice

phoenixdawg
01-19-2005, 04:00 PM
I have the rear out of my 68. I want to blast it and powder coat the unit. The gears are in good shape (3.08 non posi), I don't think I will change them, unless there is a compelling reason to do so. I am adding Baer rears and will get the parts in 2 weeks, so in the interim I plan on turning my axle flanges to the right size and also plan on replacing the axle bearings and seals. My question is if I blast the rear end (with the differential cover in place), can I take to the powder coater and have the unit coated with the gears in place, or do the gears need to be removed. My only concern would be that during the coating process that the gears would become varnish due to residual gear lube. Any thoughts?

MuscleRodz
01-19-2005, 05:57 PM
You need to have everything out of the rear end and the cover off. They use a special tape to seal areas before powdercoat. The oven they bake it in is 300-400 degrees depending on the material being baked. It will melt seals and cook any residue oil in the rear. If it is not perfectly clean, the powdercoat will not stick.

Mike

phoenixdawg
01-19-2005, 07:17 PM
thanks for the reply