PDA

View Full Version : chemical stripping advise needed

richs71Nova
12-16-2007, 03:13 PM
today i started the tediously slow process of zip stripping my fire wall and cowl. after i removed the loose paint i wire wheeled on the drill and used some coarse steel wool to remove the rest of the paint. then i wiped over with laquer thinner.

is there something else i should be using to make sure there is no more zip strip on the metal. tomorrow i'm going to work on a few more areas, try and get the small pits with rust in it taken care of, and i'm going to spray bomb self etching primer on the bare metal.

also, i bought a bottle of a rust remover, i belive its called naval jelly, anyone familiar with this?? i was going to use this in the pitted sheet metal to remove the rest of the surface rust before spray bombing it.

this is my first attempt at stripping the body down, i bought a 10 gallon abrasive blaster and some walnut shell in case i need to spot sand some hard to reach areas. i've never done this before and don't want to create problems for the paint shop down the road.

thanks in advance, Rich

BlindSideCustoms
02-05-2008, 06:59 PM
not that much of advise but please make sure to use safety goggles with this stuff. if you are already im sorry but even casually spreading some on things can happen, get some good thick rubber gloves also. it makes it alot easier to work with the stripper, even your normal rubber/latex gloves that come in a pack....it will eat through them. these are 2 things that make it alot simpler since it always finds a way to get to your skin. i had burnt the crap out of my face one time taking the brush and tapping it on the edge of the can i had it in.

and as a tip go to a dollar store, get a few toothbrushes it makes those hard to reach places alot easier, you can kind of scrub in and get it all off. on cleaning after the paint stripper i would say clean it with purple power, simple green etc. hope some of this helped, just a couple small tips.