PDA

View Full Version : need help. Is this machine work quote too much

jeff5347
12-15-2007, 06:33 PM
I pulled my 350 out of the camaro this week and dissasembled it. It was getting low oil pressure and i just wanted to freshen it up and add better parts for more power.
The shop i brouught it to sends out to have machine work done.
The quotes he told me it will cost to machine the block to become a 383 sounds high.
The current engine specs are a 10 under crank, bored 40 cylinders.
The engine maybe has 10-20 k miles if that. The cylinders show the wear of the ridge near the deck but honestly is only slightly worn since the car wasnt driven much over the last 13 years. So it may need a hone. i dont think a bore but im not a machinist. The main and rod journals on the crank were miced today and now show this is the reason for the low oil pressure. the 3rd main miced out not to good. The rear main was miced as being the culprit for the low pressure due to a slight angle cut by the machine shop.
Im being quoted these prices to bring to spec and make a 383
bore= 80 bucks a cylinder=640 for complete bore job
align hone the mains about 500 bucks
general machine work 700
this sounds sky high
what are the usual cost to bore, deck, align hone and notch to make a 383.
Thanks for the replys in advance

HILROD
12-15-2007, 10:17 PM
Those prices are crazy! It sounds like they are sending it out and still marking it up at least double. You can get a brand new standard bore GM block for 700.00 or so. A whole engine can be had for those prices or less.

jeff5347
12-15-2007, 10:51 PM
what does machine work usually run.
my block as far as i know is sound.
What machining of the block should be done?
Im in massaschusetts. Can anyone recommend a good machine shop that does good work at a reasonable price?

Adam's 55 Chevy
12-16-2007, 03:38 AM
I get all 8 cylinders bored for £120.oo ($240.oo) Crank is £10.oo ($20.oo) a journal. Why do you need an align hone on a simple freshen up? After all all you want to do is restore oil pressure to it, why are they talking 383? What is included in the 'other' machine costs? I think they are taking you down the river.

If the job has a problem where do you go back to? The machine shop dealt with this middle man not you. Any returns would be a complete nightmare. Go find a reputable shop that does their own work in your area by asking around some circle track or drag race guys.

If your bores are good and you really want a 383 buy a kit from Eagle or Summit. For for what they want just for machining the crank alone you could buy a brand new forged one. Take you parts back and say you cannot afford the work to be done after all.

For what they are asking you could get a 290hp crate engine and change!

rocketman
12-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Thats high, most around here 20 cylinder to bore, align hone and fit main main caps 350, deck the block, clearance it 400, balance assembly 350, even all new parts need balanced. thats what most around here charge

megaladon6
12-16-2007, 06:02 PM
i only paid $500 total to bore/hone .030 over with a torque plate (i do remember that the plate was expensive), align hone, clearance the block, set ring gap, and install the cam bearings and freeze plugs.

jeff5347
12-16-2007, 06:20 PM
wow thats what im looking for. someone that can do all this and not for an arm and a leg

megaladon6
12-16-2007, 07:47 PM
well if you're near brewster new york then you're in luck.

jeff5347
12-17-2007, 06:28 AM
hahah i wish. im here in central mass with 2 ft of snow.

nbecker
12-17-2007, 07:08 AM
Yeah thats to much, I paid 900. to have my block cleaned bored .30 over decked to zero and my rotating assembly balanced witch was alot of work because everything was way off.
I would talk to people to see who does qaulity work and it will probly cost less.

jasonsnova
12-17-2007, 07:33 AM
jeff who are you useing? i'm also in central ma ...prices do seem high, but i know there is a few machine shops around that get big $$$$$ .send me a pm if you want

jeff5347
12-17-2007, 09:02 AM
Hey Jason,
I called PK machining in Fitchburg this morning and spoke with Paul. very knowledgable and seemed really thorough on what they go thru to make a good block.
Was told to make a 383 with forged SRP piston, eagle crank, scat 6 inch rods and all machining and measuring and assembling the short block about 3k or so. Was on the phone for probably about 1.5 hours and he definately set my mind at ease. Builds stuff from plow truck motors to twin turbos and has an in house dyno. He said he was a little more expensive than most around here but he said when measuring the crank the main will only be off at the most by .0001.
Who have you used or recommend

wendell
12-18-2007, 08:11 AM
I'll vote for Chris at New England Competition Engines in Hudson NH. He builds some of the hottest pro-stock (circle track) motors in NE. Also built a road race SBC that guys like Probell and Vanzuk will vouch for. Great guy, great attention to detail and knows how to make power. he's just over the boarder next to Nashua. It looks like his website is down. PM me if you want more info.

jeff5347
12-18-2007, 09:00 AM
Wendell, i just tried the site to and it isnt working. Ill keep trying as i want to see what they do. How expensive are they?