PDA

View Full Version : I Need A Paint Code For "hot Lava"

paulk68
12-14-2007, 10:32 AM
just wondering if any one knew the paint code for a color called "hot lava"? Also if anybody has any pics of it on a car i would really appreciate seeing it.
Thanks

danbob67
12-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Is it a factory color? If it is what did it come on I could look it up for you.

paulk68
12-14-2007, 04:01 PM
that would be great, i think it was on some of the first scions. if the search that i did is the same color. thanks for anything you can find out.
Paul

danbob67
12-14-2007, 05:46 PM
I was thinking the name sounded familiar I think I sprayed a scion that color and If I remember correctly it was a 3 stage paint. the paint code is 4R8 I can tell you when I go back to work if it was for certain a 3 stage or not

paulk68
12-15-2007, 05:19 AM
wow thank you very much, this may be a really Dumb question but what do you mean by three stage paint? it sounds expensive:eek:. but really how does the color look in person. i have only seen it in pictures. thanks again for all of your help

danbob67
12-15-2007, 06:35 AM
it means you will have a base coat, a pearl or tint coat and then the clear coat. I painted that car when that color first came out and really that was the only one Ive seen. Im going to work today I will look at the color then in my books at work.

paulk68
12-15-2007, 07:20 AM
i really appreciate all the info. so to paint a car that is 3 stage would you recomend that the entire car be assembled? if you tried to paint it in pieces it would not be the same right? thanks again.

danbob67
12-15-2007, 07:57 AM
I have seen people paint cars apart with 3 stage paints, But If I was spraying it I would want it together. Some metallics I would do apart on mine Im gonna do it apart but the color Im doing really just has pearls in the color not like a silver metallic mine is going blue as of right now who knows color it might end up.

danbob67
12-15-2007, 03:58 PM
I looked it up and it is a base clear now they recommend a 2/1 reduction with dupont so the color is probally transparent. it also said a factory pack color was recommended due to the unique pigmentation which basically means most places will have to order the color. I can probally mix the color and spray a card for you if you dont have any luck finding a car to look at in person.

paulk68
12-15-2007, 04:39 PM
you are the man, so being a base, clear, does that mean it might be a little easier of a job? also how hard is it to order the paint? can most good shops do this? sorry for all the questions i just know nothing about painting a car. if you ever wanted to mix it and paint a card for me that would be awesome. thanks again for all the help i really appreciate it.

danbob67
12-15-2007, 04:59 PM
yes it is easier to just base the car then put the clear on (base/clear), then to base it spray a tint coat or pearl coat then clear it (3-stage). Paint systems vary I know when I used ppg some colors like 379E for example with ppg it was a 3 stage and now Im using dupont that same color is available as a base clear and it IMO matches better than ppg's 3 stage version. as for getting it most auto paint stores should have no problem getting it, usually only time I have a problem getting colors is if the color just came out in that case usually make the color from scratch but can be very time consuming to get it right.

paulk68
12-16-2007, 06:28 AM
Thank you for all of the information, i am really glad to see that it is now available in a base clear application. i am still along way away from paint but atleast i have a direction.
thanks again

danbob67
12-16-2007, 01:00 PM
I sprayed you a panel today. The color looks comparable to Steven Rupp's Bad penny prowler orange to me. Pm me your address I will get it sent out to you one day this week.