PDA

View Full Version : Painting panels on or off the car with Stainless Fasteners

scogin918
12-14-2007, 04:29 AM
My painter didn't like the idea of using the Stainless Steel Fastener Kit I got from Prodigy Customs because he likes to paint the car with the panels on the car. Is it better to paint the fenders and doors off or on, or is it just a preference? Right now it looks like I'll have to spend time backing out every screw and replacing it with the Stainless one.

MuscleRodz
12-14-2007, 08:51 AM
I will paint a solid color car apart and metallics, pearls or candy cars together. If he wants to paint the car to gether, make sure the bolts are not locked down so the seal is not broken on the paint or there is a washer larger than the broken seal around the bolt heads.

Mike

scogin918
12-14-2007, 09:07 AM
It will be a silver metallic, so that makes sense so that the spray is consistent through all of the panels.

One other question if I could. How do you tackle this? I have a L-88 hood that will be silver except for the raised part. That part I want to be satin black. What do you do with the tape line between the satin clear for the black and the gloss clear for the silver. Will it be a noticeable difference between the two. I've seen hoods with satin black accents before; I wonder how they got around it.

MuscleRodz
12-14-2007, 10:26 AM
You will have a tape line, can't get around it when you have a gloss finish and a satin finish on the same part. A good painter will know when to pull the tape where the edge will lay down and not be sharp.

Mike

scogin918
12-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the info. Too bad your in Oklahoma.

vanzuuk1
01-20-2008, 04:02 AM
Do the satin part second use a touch up gun or airbrush to do the edges and then one wet coat, just enough to cover.That should give a thin edge.

comp-spec
01-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Paint a silver all together or all the parts the same time. So you don't end up with a shad differance

If done right the tape line from the satin black shouldn't be that bad

You can use some bolts with no washer and then swap them out for the stainless with washers. Then you don't get the washer ring

70LS1NOVA
01-25-2008, 12:42 PM
If he's going to paint your car all together, then you are going to have nasty paint edges on fender and door edges. One way to get around this and the stainless fasteners is to paint the car all together sot the silver is uniform on all panels, then take the panels off, wet sand and clear coat everything again. This will give you a deep show car shine and solve all your problems. Probably cost a little more money, but hey, you'll make more.