PDA

View Full Version : Camaro front seat brace removal

Milow68
01-18-2005, 11:18 PM
How much of a pain in the butt (PITA) is it to remove the bucket seat brace/bracket from a 68 Camaro? I have a small spot of rust to repair that I can see from the underside but is under the brace on the topside. I want to take the time to fix it right. I see a bunch of spot welds that need drilling any other down falls. Then on the out of this project how much of a pain putting back in?
Thanks
Brad

Happyfunballs
01-19-2005, 05:56 AM
Not any more difficult than replacing any other welded part. Drill out the spot welds and it should come right up. While you're there, check the caged nut for the rear subframe bolts. Make sure the "cage" is in good condition. Mine(being a convertible) was rusted out.

Flight396
01-20-2005, 04:24 AM
Brad, like Happyfunballs said, it's like any other spot welded piece of metal on the car, just drill out the spot welds, and the piece comes up. I had to remove one of the braces on my 68' and that exactly how I did it. On the other side I just cut around the brace because I am replacing the floorpan. And definatly check your "nut in cage" for rust and abuse. My was rusted a bit so I cleaned and rewelded and then coated it. You may want to check your subframe bolts while your there too. I took a pic of my bolts and bushings, it tells the story of what the whole car is, a rusted out p.o.s. (for now....). Heres a few pics of my bracket too.