PDA

View Full Version : enclosures

Jaymz
12-12-2007, 12:18 PM
I have a 67 camaro and would like to know if I should build a enclosure in the kickpanel where the old air vent was. what meteral, and how big should it be, and should it be ported? I will probably be going with a 6.5 inch speaker. What about Imaging, is it just the angle?

class67
12-12-2007, 08:11 PM
I think that you can seal it up with just some spray foam / insulation. No porting would be nescessary assuming that the 6.5" will be used as a mid-range speaker anyway and yes, the angle of the speaker is important to get the right imaging, especially the highs.

matthimself456
12-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Kick panels are just about the best spot available in a car from an imaging standpoint. They should be pointed directly towards the drivers' ears. Note that this will mean that the angles are different for the drivers and passenger side.

bbcc
12-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Frame it out of mdf, 3/8" will suffice. Then fiberglass it. Basic rundown from s10forum (http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f27/kick-panel-build-up-284487/). Hope this helps.

cheers, bbcc

Jaymz
12-18-2007, 07:37 PM
That was some good info, gave me some good ideas. Thanks!:twothumbs

RSX302
01-01-2008, 07:16 PM
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=2917

There's plenty of room in the kick panels up to 8". I filled with foam, a little bondo and fiber fill. I'm using the CDT 8's instead of the 6.5's with the HEX-5000 3 way crossover. 8's are running at 50-450hz and 4's angled with highs. I’m also using Upstage tweeters in the upper window and sounds very clean. I like a strong bass presents up front. Blends fantastic with the 2-10's in the trunk. You can't tell where the bass is coming from.

Its a little difficult to angle the bigger drivers without getting in your way. 6's and 8's mounted flat are not as critical keeping lower freq to them. (just need power) Use the 4's and Tweeters angled for your imaging. This is where it's very important. I didn't do extreme angles due to functionality and my big feet. Still worked very well.

tumper93
01-02-2008, 12:34 PM
So did you make that whole kick panel or use the factory one and just add to it?

Jaymz
01-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Wooah! Ronracer??? I thought you were dead. the last post that I remember from you was about 3 years ago. You said something about your wife didnt know how much you spent on your project, so I feared the worst for you! Mabe I'm just not very observent, but still glad to see your still around.

RSX302
01-02-2008, 11:21 PM
So did you make that whole kick panel or use the factory one and just add to it?

The kick panels were custom made in two pieces. I designed the system and installed the 8's mounted on 1/2" mdf and sealed. I can't take all the credit for the finished outcome. I ran out of time so I took it to the local Stereo Installer (Phanom Electonics (http://www.phantomelectronics.com/)). Twin CDT 4's and the DRT26 tweeter was mounted on a once piece panel. I feel they did a very clean job with it.

System:
http://home.roadrunner.com/~rderaad/HTM%20Pages/Sound%20System.htm

RSX302
01-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Wooah! Ronracer??? I thought you were dead. the last post that I remember from you was about 3 years ago. You said something about your wife didnt know how much you spent on your project, so I feared the worst for you! Mabe I'm just not very observent, but still glad to see your still around.

I'm still kickin...Just been very busy.

My wife still doesn't know exact, but then again neither do I. :scared:

I guess its better that way.

Look for it in PHR Mag hopefully coming out soon.....

SamHatco
01-21-2008, 02:16 PM
:postpics:

Sam

73novaguy
02-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Not to hijack anyones thread here, but I think it will be to benefit all. On the link to the S-10 kick builds, what glue do they keep refering to? He keeps calling it CA glue. And also where does a fella get the spandex he is using. I am starting in the next week or two my own kick builds. I have built a set before that turned out very nice about 11 years ago on a S-10. But used a diff method and seems that with the spandex you can make the kick "blend" easier. Thanks!

IMPALAMAN1
02-25-2008, 05:10 PM
it is super glue

Cyanoacrilate it is used in combination with an accerator usually in a spray form.

good stuff jsut dont stick your fingers together.