PDA

View Full Version : Nova Dash ??

73novaguy
01-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Does anyone have any pics of 5" Speedo's and Tach's installed in a 68-74 Nova dash? I was trying to stay away from Covans because of the small gauges and Dakota Digital looks a little 80's for my tatses! So, I would like to see some pics.

Also, what is the trick to removing the ignition lock on the steering column? I have a new lock and key to match the door's, but it seems there should be some "special" tool!

novaman_68
01-18-2005, 07:03 PM
I built a dash insert for my 68 for a 5 inch speedo and tach and 2 5/8 guages but I don't know how to resize them to fit on this post. If you want I can e-mail them to you?

73novaguy
01-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Novaman 68!
That would be great if you could e-mail em to me. Address is [email protected]. Or [email protected]! Whichever you prefer! I would love to see pics of the whole car also! Maybe even drop me a few lines on what you have done and so on! Thanks in advance!!!!

Also do you have any tips for the key cylinder removal on the column?

novaman_68
01-19-2005, 05:28 PM
You have mail !! And as for the ignition lock it has been a long time since I have been in a column close to that year. If I remember right you need to make sure the ignition switch is in the run position and then pull the steering wheel and lockplate, then pull the turn signal assembly to the side and use a thin blade screwdriver to push the latch on the lower end of the lock cylinder, with this depressed you should be able to pull the lock out. Let me know if you need any more help :idea:

73novaguy
01-19-2005, 06:10 PM
Thanks Kip for the photos. That dash looks very nice! Now to the real question! How did you make it? After seeing that dash compared to the covans, sure it is a little rougher right now, but a little paint will make that thing stand out big time! I love the 5 inch look to it! So c'mon now, fess up!

novaman_68
01-19-2005, 08:18 PM
Well I started by making posterboard templates of the top and sides. Once I had those how I wanted I transferred them to steel, then I made a pattern for the face with the layout I wanted for the guages. I used a slip roll to make the guage cups and fitted them into the face plate. I pretty much repeated this process until I had the finished product. Then I went to work smoothing the whole thing out. It wasn't that hard but it took a lot of time,I probably have 40-50 hours in the layout and design. A lot of my time was spent figuring how I wanted to do this or that. Now that I have built one it won't take me near as long next time

novaman_68
01-20-2005, 06:41 AM
Here are some shots that everybody can see, the one with guages was before I started smoothing everything out. The one that is hanging is almost done but not quite, I will get more shots of it when I get some color on the dang thing. :bananna2:

Kenova
01-20-2005, 11:41 AM
To be tottaly honest with you, I think that instrument panel would look a lot better in my Nova. :naughty: Hey, I'll even pay the shipping. :lmao:
Ken

Ralph LoGrasso
01-20-2005, 06:13 PM
novaman,

Nice job on that dash!! It looks awesome.

novaman_68
01-20-2005, 06:23 PM
I'll send it right over to you.......oh wait I forgot your address :pat: Unfortunately this panel will only fit a 68 because the dash is different. 69-74 novas are the same but 68 is a lone wolf. However I had thought about going the E-bay route with this and making myself another one.I have noticed a lot of interest in a steel insert for fitting aftermarket guages.Hey what are your options; flimsy plastic insert (that you will still have to cut out for your guages) or stare at the ugly stock guage cluster (The aftermarket clusters will only fit the small speedo and tach (3 3/8 inch) and small (2 1/16) inch guages. My insert uses the 5 inch tach and speedo and the 2 5/8 guages. If there were a signifigant interest I would consider making a few for 69-74 nova :look:

novaman_68
01-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Thanks Ralph I have a ton of time in it. I will will try to get more pics of it this weekend, with paint on it and assembled.

payne
01-03-2006, 04:29 PM
Novaman - Im gonna PM you my email, if you could get me your dash pictures, I would really appreciate it.

Im thinkin about a 70 nova project and already have a LS1 for it, and would love to see what I can do for guages.

-Jason

novaman_68
01-03-2006, 09:08 PM
Here are some pictures of my dash panel. I used 5" tach and speedo and the other gauges are 2 5/8. I couldn't figure out how to send the pics to you directly, so I'll just post them up here again. Let me know if you have any questions.