PDA

View Full Version : Paint vs powdercoat for corrosion protection

kamaroman68
12-10-2007, 03:24 AM
Hey everyone got a quick question. In terms of corrosion protection what would you rather go with.. an epoxy primer such as dp90 or a powder coat finish. Also would either of these products hold up to welding heat? For example say I want to paint something on the inside and then weld on the outside of the same piece. Thanks Chris

danbob67
12-10-2007, 03:42 AM
as far as the welding heat neither will hold up to that. the epoxy primer in my opinion would be best for corrosion protection.

zz3elcamino
12-10-2007, 06:25 AM
I have found that appliance epoxy (black) paint work very well and gives a finish that almost looks like powder coat. It is also a hell of a lot cheaper than powder coat too!

parsonsj
12-10-2007, 07:02 AM
Either will work against corrosion for decades with proper preparation. I've found that small parts are better for powdercoating since they usually won't need to be modified later. Large things like subframes and rear end housings are better painted since they often get modified later.

jp

yoboy sawyer
12-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Hey did you try por 15 it works great after a lil prep work and you can paint it on or spray it on .

kamaroman68
12-10-2007, 09:49 AM
I should probably clarify this a little bit. Basically I want to build a rectangular box 66 inches long []. i will be making the box from 2 pieces of channeling [ ]. The 2 pieces will be welded together so i would like to protect the inside from the get go before welding the 2 together. I am looking for superior corrosion resistance yet be able to handle the heat of welding the 2 pieces together. I see they have hi temp powdercoat that is claimed to go to 1000 degrees f. I also realize welding temperatures are around 2600 degrees f defeating both powdercoat and paint. I am wondering if anyone has tried it or if I should just experiment myself. Thanks Chris

BRIAN
12-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Try an etch primer. Some are even rated for mild burn applications. DP is not what it used to be without the lead which is I believe DPLF. Epoxy is a great coating to seal everything up.

Both require recoating and primer coats after sitting.

kamaroman68
12-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Ttt

Apogee
12-10-2007, 10:02 AM
It you make sure you're welds are non-porous and seal the rectangular box when you make it, there will be no oxygen inside of it once the little bit there is consumed and corrosion shouldn't be an issue. Otherwise, if that's not a practical option, I'd probably use a self-etching, weld-thru primer (high zinc content) and call it good. Wherever you weld will be compromised due to the excessive heat, but everywhere else should remain in place.

parsonsj
12-10-2007, 10:09 AM
I don't believe you'll find any product that will live through welding.

Weld-through primer is your best bet ...

jp