PDA

View Full Version : BBC exhaust?

Yeller69
01-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Ok, I am getting ready to drop in my bb this next weekend. Is there anyone out there running a bb in their 1st gen camaro? If so, what sort of exhaust system (size pipe, mufflers) are you using and where do you dump it. I am wanting to use the super 40 series flowmaster with 3" pipe with no "H" pipe or crossover and dump it about a 45% angle just in front of the rear axle.. Any inputs will be greatly appreciated :)

Garry
Bristow, Ok

whytry
01-19-2005, 09:01 AM
Hey bro,

Identical setup to mine. I like it but with a 5 speed it wraps and sounds tinny when shifting to me. I have it on a 68 Camaro with a pumped 468 currently. I love it, don't get me wrong but the stick instead of the TH350, it just sounds different to me.

Just my .02

astroracer
01-19-2005, 09:26 AM
Putting in an "X" pipe would mellow it out a bit and boost lowend some.
Mark

dhardison
01-19-2005, 09:43 AM
I have a 3rd-gen Nova, but close enough. I'm running 2.5" pipe through Dynomax Magnum Race welded mufflers with my 454 (no x-over or x-pipe). It exits in the factory location at an angle just behind the rear wheels. It has a deep throaty sound at idle and while cruising, but REALLY gets louder when on the gas. If you like your exhaust with a very deep, "bassey" sound that rattles your head inside the car then exiting in front of the rear axle is what you want. To mellow it out a bit more go with tailpipes of some sort. The other problem with turn-downs in front of the axle is they badly stir up dirt/dust, and cause your rear axle and fuel tank to constantly stay dirty.

Dan

whytry
01-19-2005, 11:58 AM
HAve any of you guys heard of Lobak mufflers?

73novaguy
01-19-2005, 04:44 PM
I have the exact setup you are looking at (40 series, 3 inch, axle exit with 45's) and I have a 502 BBC. The sound is very aggressive but not to annoying! I would say it has a deep idle tone and then with the TH350, they really come to life (in a good way) once the pedal is pushed past the floormats! The only problem I see you having with this setup, is that like Dan said, your axle and fuel tank get dirty fast and the local 5.0 won't like the fact that it doesn't go past the rear axle or run outside of the vehicles body! IMHO, run the 3" exhaust with 40 series mufflers, and try to find someone who can bend you tailpipes over the axles. And even if you run the mufflers to 45 dumps in front of the axle for now, you can always upgrade later with tailpipes!

73novaguy
01-19-2005, 04:48 PM
I also have NO crossover (h or x) pipe in my exhaust system. Just 4-5 foot of straight 3" exhaust to mufflers. And I am running 2 and 1/8th inch headers into 3" collectors!

Good luck and let us know how she sounds when you put the fire to it!!!!

kman67rsss
01-19-2005, 06:57 PM
maybee its different out there but here in NH exhaudt is legal as long as it passes the windows for the passenger compartment. i guess i dont see why the local cops would have a problem with it.

Yeller69
01-19-2005, 07:21 PM
Thanks to all for your ideas and suggestions with my new exhaust. Mark, I don't think I am going to have any problems on the lowend. That 177 weiand blower is going to give me some great lowend torque and power. This motor is an animal until about 5500rpm before it starts bleeding off the torque. Man, I can hardlly wait :)

Garry