PDA

View Full Version : Powertraxs

Munster
12-05-2007, 02:16 AM
Has anyone here used or have feedback on the new quite operation no slip differential from powertraxs. http://www.powertrax.com/noslip.html

Prices seem to be good.

backtobasics
12-05-2007, 09:23 AM
They have 2 primary units:
Lock Rite, which is cheap and loud
Powertrax, which is more $$ but quiet.

I have minimal complaints from customers, other then they are never cheap enough. Offroad guys will hurt them eventually, with big tires, but it takes a while. The Lock-Rite can be heard, interior wise. The Powertrax unit is very close in design, but it has a metal ring cast into the unit, that allows each half to separate just enough so that the teeth are not chattering in the turns.

chicane67
12-06-2007, 11:27 PM
Both the Lock Rite and the Powertrax use a de-coupling mechanism and the noise is a thing of the past.

I have had Lock Rite(s) in a daily driver application of mine with 32" BFG mudders and 4.88's for 10+ plus years and 160,000+ miles now. And if you know anything about me (if you dont, just ask a few on this board)... I beat the hell out of that truck.

On a side note: If I had my choice I would have stuffed a Detroit in the rear and I would keep the Lock Rite in the front end. The Detroit takes the abuse (impact loading) of chasing the boys down in Baja as well as the stairsteps of MOAB. But, I can not complain, the Lock Rite has been a proven performer in the absolute worst of conditions.

In a street car application... the only thing that you'll need do is learn that its a finesse' issue when driving it. The 'resets' will become second nature and you'll love the traction. I like them... but I would only choose this for a 1320 application... as I think a little differentation works better. But then again... I like road racing Detroits... it a different style of driving all together though.

backtobasics
12-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Both the Lock Rite and the Powertrax use a de-coupling mechanism and the noise is a thing of the past.

I have had Lock Rite(s) in a daily driver application of mine with 32" BFG mudders and 4.88's for 10+ plus years and 160,000+ miles now. And if you know anything about me (if you dont, just ask a few on this board)... I beat the hell out of that truck.

This is not how the representatives of the company explain it to me.
The Lock Rite is loud, and still clicks
The Powertrax is the same overall unit, but with the ring that keeps the gears from touching until the tire speeds match.

My comment about the Offroad application is this: I have had to warranty a few for guys running what I consider to be dis-proportionally large tires.... 36-38+ on a GM 10 bolt, etc. They want the traction, but are not spending the $$ to upgrade to proportionally strong axles.

Exerpt from www.powertrax.com (http://www.powertrax.com) regarding the Lock Rite:
Although smoother than other competitive locking differentials, the brute force characteristics of the LOCK-RIGHT Locker limit general application in less tolerant and more mainstream applications. In some vehicles, you will hear a light clicking noise as the gears are overrunning themselves and allowing the wheels to differentiate in a turn. This is normal of most lockers on the market today. We recommend the LOCK-RIGHT for vehicles that are primarily driven in severe driving conditions or are used for recreational off-road. For vehicles that are driven daily or require more mainstream application, the POWERTRAX TRACTION SYSTEMS offer a quieter and smoother performance. Please see the POWERTRAX® TRACTION SYSTEMS (http://www.powertrax.com/noslip.html) page.

Here is their info on the Power Trax unit.
The POWERTRAX® TRACTION SYSTEMS are the latest design in traction adding differential technology. It combines the smooth operation of a limited-slip differential, with the traction performance of a locking differential.
A precise synchronization mechanism eliminates the ratcheting sounds typical of other locking differentials. Special gear and spring design reduce the backlash and therefore driveline windup. Only ultra strength material is used which is 67% stronger than titanium.

Damn True
12-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Does anyone have experience with a number of different locking and or limited slip diffs in auto-x, road course applications? If so, please comment on the appropriateness of each.

chicane67
12-08-2007, 01:24 AM
"Light click" doesnt explain - "Loud" - and its much quieter than a Detroit resetting... that is for sure. But, it still operates by the cross shaft loading the coupler into the side gear. Both the Lock Rite and Powertrax make the same noise... at the same level... when they reset. The only real difference is when the Lock Rite differentiates it does make a light clicking sound. But it is far from being loud.

As for AX or RR applications... lockers are not really a good choice. They induce understeer and are suspect to snap oversteer. I am not saying that they cannot be used... but as I stated earlier... it requires a different style of driving all together. It goes back to 'loose is fast' and accelerated tire wear.

If I had my choice with a 9"... it would be a Torsen Gleason (not to be confuse with the T2R or late model Torsen), a Platinum or Gold Track, then a True Trac.

If I had my choice with a 12bolt... it would be a True Trac, and then an EATON.

backtobasics
12-09-2007, 05:14 PM
I agree that both have the click when they finally reset, but the powertrax unit only makes the click on the final click, where the lock rite clicks through out the entire turn, or any time the two wheels are not spinnging at the same speed.

jeff351
12-14-2007, 07:04 AM
I am running a 9" with a Lock Rite in my Torino. You might have to adapt your driving style, especially if you use a manual transmission. In slow, tight corners it will click (sounds like a FWD car with a bad CV joint) and chirp the inside tire. I got used to just pushing in the clutch and coasting in slow corners.
Makes for some fun driving if you dont mind the occasional surprise drift.

backtobasics
12-14-2007, 10:55 AM
I am running a 9" with a Lock Rite in my Torino. You might have to adapt your driving style, especially if you use a manual transmission. In slow, tight corners it will click (sounds like a FWD car with a bad CV joint) and chirp the inside tire. I got used to just pushing in the clutch and coasting in slow corners.
Makes for some fun driving if you dont mind the occasional surprise drift.

That is the one spooky thing about them is the sporadic engage likes to kick the rear end out. But it is an inexpesive (comparatively) way to make an open rear end a locked rear end, especially since you do not have to do anything with ring and pinion, bearings, etc.

pdq67
12-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Let's cut to the chase!!

OK!!

Which one is best on the hwy running 70 mph and black ice pop's up??

An Eaton disc? A Detroit Locker? Or onna these??

I ask b/c I figure I will get my Eaton 3.31's w/ my 496 so will need to go stronger is all.............

pdq67

chicane67
12-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Black ice = open

Strength = Detroit

Compliance = EATON

Damn True
01-10-2008, 10:57 PM
"Light click" doesnt explain - "Loud" - and its much quieter than a Detroit resetting... that is for sure. But, it still operates by the cross shaft loading the coupler into the side gear. Both the Lock Rite and Powertrax make the same noise... at the same level... when they reset. The only real difference is when the Lock Rite differentiates it does make a light clicking sound. But it is far from being loud.

As for AX or RR applications... lockers are not really a good choice. They induce understeer and are suspect to snap oversteer. I am not saying that they cannot be used... but as I stated earlier... it requires a different style of driving all together. It goes back to 'loose is fast' and accelerated tire wear.

If I had my choice with a 9"... it would be a Torsen Gleason (not to be confuse with the T2R or late model Torsen), a Platinum or Gold Track, then a True Trac.

If I had my choice with a 12bolt... it would be a True Trac, and then an EATON.

Ok, I finally got around to checking out The Torsen website. The T2R does not appear to be available for a 9". Is there a weakness in the T1?

Who is the source for the Torsen Gleason and what features differentiate it from the T1 & T2R?

chicane67
01-11-2008, 10:29 PM
HRP is one of many choices...

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=104,47,363_982&action=product

It is much stronger than that of the late 'Torsen' differentials. It is also "end user adjustable", meaning, tunable in bias, which the Torsen offerings are not.

Damn True
01-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Wow, a $1400 diff, zoiks!

.............I kinda want one.