PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any feedback on these Patriot performance cylinder heads?

Adam's 55 Chevy
12-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Anyone have any feedback on these Patriot performance cylinder heads? Are they the real deal or another knock off job but with a different name. They seem to have all the right spec and the price is $200.oo cheaper than a set of Edelbrock's.

http://www.patriot-performance.com/waterNew/default.asp?x=1&DID=1225

Very tempted but don't want to find out they are crap chinese castings.

rocketman
12-03-2007, 03:40 PM
I haven't used them, but I would stick to a name brand head, I prefer Brodix heads, there race rite heads are good buy.

Adam's 55 Chevy
12-03-2007, 08:55 PM
This is just for a mild up to 400hp street engine in my '55. The saving would buy the cam, lifters and full gasket kit.

rocketman
12-04-2007, 12:59 AM
you could use a stock head my that hp alot cheaper, vortec head will do it.

pist0lpete
12-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Can't speak on the Gen I heads but they are very well respected for their valve springs and ported Ls1 heads. My suggestion would to be give Gunnar at Patriot a call and see what he can do for ya.

TonyL
12-09-2007, 07:45 PM
didn't CHP just do an article on them? Pm Rupp about them.

1982ccz-28
12-18-2007, 05:13 PM
CHP did do a review of the Patriot Super Street 215cc heads with the 2.08/1.60 valves. I'm going with a set of these very heads and they are already CNC ported and flow with big numbers. I am going with the Comp Cams Beehive springs and hardware instead of theirs. I will be running a retro hydraulic roller camshaft with full roller rockers on 400 I am building. The Patriot heads are the heads of choice for the Ford mod motors as well as the LS series motors of GM. With their knowledge and expertise of these motors, I have no worries at all about going with their Gen I heads knowing full well that they have researched and got it right the first time. Go to their web site and look at the flow numbers, they are impressive when compared to other manufacturers. I can't wait to get my motor together and see how it runs.

JMarsa
12-19-2007, 07:39 AM
What issue where they in?

--JMarsa

tumper93
12-19-2007, 11:15 AM
I considered these heads when I was building my 383 because of the flow they had and came real close to buying them. I used Desk top dyno and compared them against the Brodix RR200 and teh numbers appeared close. I couldn't decide so I ended up calling Wolfplace over on teamchevelle.com and after talking to him ended up with the Brodix RR200's with the cnced ports and bowls. I spent a lttle more than what the Patriot stuff cost but I believe it has paid off for me. I honestly would have a set of the Patriots over the Edelbrocks as I had a set of those at one time and they just don't flow as well as many others plus they are a "light" weight casting. The weight of them compared to Brodix is unreal. Buy what your budget will allow, just make sure you plan the build don't just throw parts and think it will work out as you intended. You want the parts to work together as a whole. Just my 2cents

bbcc
12-24-2007, 10:53 AM
We sell the patriots, as-well as edelbrock, rhs, and afr heads at my shop. Honestly, the patriots for a gen. I engine are no screaming h***. The cnc work on them is hideous compared to the AFR's. The guide boss is gouged on both intake and exhaust, and the chamber has many peaks between where the bit has cut. Just overall poor machining. And we have noticed this on the small ford heads to. For $200 more (canadian retail), we suggest to our customers to go with the AFR's. We havn't had anyone do a back to back dyno test on both heads, but just by looking at the machine work, it's not hard to see that the patriots will give up some power. But, AFR has also gone a bit goofy with thier valve stem sizes, switching over to a metric size (10mm) on the assembled 195 cc versions. Really screws up the guys wanting to run a solid roller because they cant go with a different sping and retainer. From what our rep has said, it looks like this might have been a temporary thing though, and standard sizes will be sent to us soon.:bsjerk:

Just a suggestion, but try and find some shops in town that sell a couple different brands as-well as the patriots and have a look for yourself. This way you can truely judge which brand you would like to go with.

Hope this helps some. bbcc