PDA

View Full Version : Aerospace components

Motown 454
12-02-2007, 08:10 PM
HI was wondering if anyone has used Aerospace components brake systems and if so what do they think of them ?
Thank you for your help Wayne

chicane67
12-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Great for a 1320 car... but wouldnt even think about it on the streets...

Nice product though.

mar3
12-02-2007, 09:44 PM
How can it be a nice product but not for the street? Have you had a bad personal experience or did you hear "something happened to a friend"?:hand:

chicane67
12-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Being "nice", or not, doesnt matter to it being a worthy system for street use. They are quality products... machine work, fit and finish. But... they are completely inadequate for street use beyond getting groceries. Considering that even their "Heavy Duty" system is only rated for a chassis weight up to 3000 pounds.

Of course you could always set up to their 13 x 1 3/8" at an additional cost... but then you are in the price range of other systems that are still better in consideration of price, strength, durability, performance and parts availability.

Of course... "I heard it from a friend".

Please... Learn about whom people around here are and what their experience is before making comments like that.

Motown 454
12-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the information Wayne

mar3
12-06-2007, 08:51 AM
"Hearing it from a friend" or "I know someone who used to use that" is not experience, it's hearsay...that was my point. What system from Aerospace did you use then? How long before it failed you?

James OLC
12-06-2007, 11:28 AM
I have had personal experience with Aerospace components' brakes and a lot of their other pieces as well (their shop was right around the corner from mine a few years ago). They make great pieces for specific applications but, in my personal experience, their pro-street (economical) brakes would not be suitable in a pro-touring application. I have not tried their big (GT) brakes.

There is a difference between "failing" and not being suitable.

For what it's worth, my experience was with a '67 Camaro, full cage, all steel, weighing in at 3,350 with driver and a big block.

CarlC
12-06-2007, 01:02 PM
You do not need personal experience with a product to judge if that product is seriously unsuitable for a particular application. I have have had brake failures, as has Tom, David, and many others on this board. We do not need to personally experience an Aerospace Components kit, or any other given similar specifications, to know that it will not work for more than anything else besides grocery runs.

It would get pretty expensive if we could not make a reasonable judgement of a products capability based on past experience, but instead relied totally on buying and testing every product on the market. Isn't the internet great? Vast, educated experience with just about every product in the marketplace available at your fingertips.

rocketman
12-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Most of the stuff is strictly drag racing, were its to help stop and not completely stop the car, thats the parachutes job, then use the brakes to fully stop. I have used there stuff drag racing it works, there

chicane67
12-06-2007, 10:57 PM
Well... just to humor mar3...

I have considerable experience with their medium and heavy duty front (kits) as well as their "GT" caliper line. In fact... I dont think that there is a manufacturer that has remained in business in the last 25+ years (covering 1902 to current year production and aftermarket) that I dont have experience with.

Anyway, on another point... its not a question of failure... its a question of capacity. Their front kits are inadequate for average street use, at street weights. And not to long ago... they came out with their GT caliper and are now offering a 13 x 1 3/8" rotor option. That... would be more suitable for street use at street weights. But even then... race car parts are for race cars.

Motown asked what we thought of Aerospace Components. He didnt specify a use or anything else for that matter... and we applied opinion from personal use and experience.

Like I said... its a great product, when used in the correct capacity.

Motown 454
12-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Sorry for not mentioning , it would be for street use at original weight , for a 69 camaro. I'm thinking of wilwood 13" or have brackets made to put the C6 Z06 rears on my ford 9". I'm having the rear made up so I need those first.

quadfather
12-09-2007, 09:16 AM
aerospace brakes are not very well made .the rotors look look like they were cut from flat plate with a plasma cutter then ground flat with with a disc grinder. also none of the machined parts are anodized or coated to prevent corrosion . it looks like they their target market was the person wanting the least exspensive product they could find . i have replaced more than a few sets of these on customers cars . the also calipers flex tremendesly under hard braking cuasing the pads to wear at an extreme angle. then they drag and don't stop very well. in my opinion i would spend a little more on a well made brake kit .