PDA

View Full Version : Where to purchase 68 GTO reproduction inner grills?

josht
12-01-2007, 10:07 PM
I need to get 68 GTO inner grills, not the hidden headlight doors.
Does anyone make reproductions? They are a one year item.

I have checked Ames Perf, OPGI, Paddock Parts, Year One and Performance Years

I have found 68 hidden head doors at Ames Perf.
I emailed Ames Perf and they do not know if/when a reproduction 68 GTO inner grill(s) will be made available.

I have a hard time spending over $200.00 on them, when I can get a complete 69 grill set for $320.00

I have tried Ebay but the good ones are expensive.

thanks

65protourgto
01-01-2008, 12:11 AM
I would call ames because they just might have it.

josht
11-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Ames Performance parts now has a 1968 GTO Hidden headlight "kit" part # B144C , they also sell an B144 which is an actuator kit.

The 1968 hidden headlight doors are sold only by Ames Performance parts, I can't find them on opgi...

I am still looking for a pair of inner grills..

Josh

josht
08-02-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm bringing my old thread back because Ames Performance now sells the inner grills for 68 GTO's as a pair; part # B114G. The hideaway headlight doors are part# B144L & B144R
The 69 grills are different, and are squares vs the rectangles on the 68 grills. I have to look and see how my grills were painted as the inner portion is not the same "silver" as the "trim" portion. The original 69 grills are two piece with chrome plastic molding. I want to clean up my grills, debating on completely painted black vs black "trim" with a body color "mesh" area.

The next issue, not that I any where needing the parts is the electric conversion kit:: Ames Performance sells two kits: the 68 is for NON AC cars, mine has factory AC & hideaways.
The 69 conversion kit has no such exception. I don't know what the difference is regarding bracket location and relevance to AC components. I was planning on converting the factory AC to 134A & have a KWiK Performance AC bracket & Sanden 508? AC unit. The condenser & receiver/dryer should mount in the same factory location so the only real change would be changing the location on the ac/heater box on the firewall.

I eventually want to relocate the coils to the back of the heads so I need 2 - 3" and keeping the factory ac/heater box would ensure the factory use AC locations. I don't know if I need a POV conversion since I am using a Sanden 508??

This is going to be interesting once I get an answer from Ames.