PDA

View Full Version : Should I do it myself?

mac71ss
12-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Ok my 71 camaro needs a quarter hung trunk pan and floors. Should I do it myself? I have never done body work and that includes never welding. I can save a lot of coin if i did it myself and that money could be used to make other things better. I am pretty good mechanically and don't mind trying something new. I have checked with a few shops about doing it and lets just say when they tell me what it will "about" cost is i go into convolutions. I even thought about calling some shops and seeing if they wanted some free help to do some sheet metal work to pick up some pointers.:fingersx: You never know i might be the next John Parsons.

Jim Nilsen
12-01-2007, 12:53 PM
When it comes to doing quarters and welding them in , I would not weld them on again. The new metal bonding adhesives are a better choice since you get no warparge problems and if done right is actually stronger or as strong. Once you get the quarter all aligned and ready to go the clecos or screws that you use to put it back in the same place will make it a breeze and you also get to seal the area that rust can form with regular welding years down the road.

As far as the floors go, you can get them all prepped up and ready to weld in and either pay someone to weld them or rent a really good welder and do it yourself unless you really want to buy the welder so you can do it again. Or you can lap the repair and glue them in too,but it is not the nicest way to do it from a perfectionist standpoint.

You will save quite a bit of money just getting it all prepped up and ready for someone experienced to do the final finish. It takes more time to remove the old and get it ready to put the new ones on and it is work that is tedious if done correctly. Just make sure if you are going to have someone finish it for you that you talk with them on what they would like you to do and not do so as to make it less work for them once they get to it.

Goodluck with your decision :cheers: