PDA

View Full Version : Just what this site needs!

wendell
01-17-2005, 07:22 AM
Another first gen F-body! After searching for the last 1.5years, I finally found a 67RS two miles from my house. It was hiding in the root celar of a barn, sitting next to a 69Z-28 and a 40's Willys jeep!

Its a 2 barrel 327, 'glide, power steering, console car with a black vinyl top. The body is real straight and "all most" rust free. Short term goal is to get it on the road for the summer (short season here in Boston) then tear it down next winter.

*Negative statement removed by mod* I'm always blown away by the talent and knowlege that the members of this site have. I'm looking forward to sharing my expereiences here. I'll get pics up and running ASAP.
Jensen

Let's try and avoid painting the group with that broad of a brush.

derekf
01-17-2005, 08:01 AM
Despite the edit, I did want to welcome you to the site. Let's see some pics, if you're able!

wendell
01-17-2005, 08:16 AM
Sorry about that. Shame to get off on the wrong foot. While I believe that my statement was valid, I want to reiterate that I hold the members of this site in high regard. JP's IImuch, Katz's Rivi, Jon S' 68... are testament to the talent on this site. As for pictures, I have a digi but what is the easiest way to get pictures hosted?
Jensen

derekf
01-17-2005, 08:31 AM
Lots of folks swear by Imagestation for hosting.

The board itself will host up to an amount (I believe it's 1mb) by using the "Manage Attachments" button on the "advanced reply", but then it shows them as thumbnails.

zbugger
01-17-2005, 10:15 AM
What? No props for my pos? Dayummm.... Oh well, despite the lack of props, I'd still like to welcome you to the site. Sounds like you have set a good goal for the car. Don't hesitate to ask questions, but also don't forget the search function. It is your friend. And yes, pictures are welcome here. We all love pictures. We call it an addiction.

TonyL
01-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Lots of folks swear by Imagestation for hosting

I think you mean www.imageshack.us

its free, requires no registration and even gives you the code to post images in the forum. all you do is copy and paste. As the mod of the mulitmedia forum, I always refer people there. check it out.

derekf
01-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Exactly - thanks for catching that.

wendell
01-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Thanks Tony. I'll check it out tonight.

Allen, I regetted mentioning anybodies car the second I posted! There are a grip of amazing cars on this site. The few that I sited were off the top of my head. The pic of the fabricated tunnel, floorpan and frame in IImuch inspired me to get into the shop. Katz's handeling R&D Rivi made me start a suspension enginering library. Jon S's high speed function over form philsophy got me researching LMSCs.

Having never met any of these people, its amazing how influential they've been threw this site. Once again, there are a TON of rad cars on this site.
Jensen

socalfandabodys
01-17-2005, 02:07 PM
welcome to the site. any more info on the 69 z/28 :naughty:

Ralph LoGrasso
01-17-2005, 02:55 PM
Welcome aboard.

Bill Howell
01-17-2005, 03:15 PM
any more info on the 69 z/28 :naughty:

Welcome, and how bout the willys while we are asking?

wendell
01-18-2005, 05:51 AM
needless to say, I was real interested in he Z-28. Neither the Z nor the Willys is for sale. I was real lucky to get the RS. This is my absolute DREAM CAR. I've wanted one of these since I was 13.

Salt Racer
01-18-2005, 07:08 AM
I can't believe my car actually inspired someone...I'm flattered.

I'll see you at the track when your car is ready to roll.

Mean 69
01-18-2005, 07:48 AM
How on earth could anyone leave a 69 Z28 in a place like that, covered in all of that crap. That is heartbreaking. Great find on the 67, it looks like a terrific candidate, good for you.

Katz, you keep doing what you're doing, and you're goling to inspire a whole bunch of folks: on the track.

Mark

DarkBuddha
01-18-2005, 05:42 PM
Welcome... nice to hear you saved the RS, but sad about the Z. Keep at it, maybe you'll convince 'em to let it go yet.

wendell
01-21-2005, 05:56 AM
Yeah, I'd be surprised if the Z didn't rot to the ground before the owner "got around to fixing it up"

Katz, this question may need to be posted in another section but...
What is the appropriate setting to road race a near stock (dangerous?) first gen? I'm really just looking for the oppertunity to cruise around a track while my project evolves. 30+ year old cars generally welcome at open track days?

Salt Racer
01-21-2005, 10:59 AM
...Katz, you keep doing what you're doing, and you're goling to inspire a whole bunch of folks: on the track...

Thanks Mark. I will keep doing what I'm doing. You can count on it.

...this question may need to be posted in another section but...
What is the appropriate setting to road race a near stock (dangerous?) first gen? I'm really just looking for the oppertunity to cruise around a track while my project evolves. 30+ year old cars generally welcome at open track days?

I don't know a whole lot about stock suspension, and there are several folks who are more qualified to give you recommendations for 1st gen Camaros (David Pozzi, Chicane67, etc). Try searching in Suspension and Archive section. Assuming the car is in good safe conditions, here's the list of bare minimum I'd do (in order)...

- 3pt. seat belts (use CG lock or some kind of clip to keep you locked in place especially if you have flat seats)
- decent tires (even if you have 15" rims, but 17s would be great if you can afford them)
- at least disc on front with good pads AND good brake bias
- good shocks (DON'T skimp money here - bargain shocks won't cut it)
- Better front sta bar
- Del-a-Lum bushings on front, Del-a-lum shackles
- G-mod along with good alignment (slight toe-out, as much caster, -2* camber)

At this point, I'd consider the car to be ready for casual track use. G-mod isn't necessary, but improvement-per-dollar ratio can't be beat. Then you can start worrying about rear discs, springs, etc.

And yes, 30-year old cars are welcome at OT events so long as they are in good safe condition. Before you do any of the mods above, check the conditions of engine, cooling system, suspension bolts, ball joints and tie rods, spindles and wheel bearings, rear axles, U-joints, etc. There's a list of track event hosts/organizers in racing section, though it's not quite as comprehensive yet. Check and see if there's any in your area.

wendell
01-21-2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the info. From the research I've been doing, I've got a pretty good handle on the performance mods I'm planning. I was mostly interested in finding a venue to drive (not race) my car on a track before and during modification to get a baseline and some developement testing. Sounds like if everything is mechanically sound, all I'd need is 3point belts and good tires? I'll poke around the race/events section for more info. thanks for your time.

Salt Racer
01-21-2005, 12:56 PM
...Sounds like if everything is mechanically sound, all I'd need is 3point belts and good tires?...

Generally speaking, yes. Most OT/HPD events require 3pt. minimum belts for closed roof cars.

Before you do the baseline testing, I'd highly recommend getting good brakes and shocks. It'd be scary not being able to stop at the end of straight way, and shocks with good valving make any car much less scary doing quick lane-change type maneuvers and going through fast chicanes. I consider those two mods to be safety upgrades as much as they're performance upgrades.

Conekiller13
01-21-2005, 02:03 PM
Generally speaking, yes. Most OT/HPD events require 3pt. minimum belts for closed roof cars.

Before you do the baseline testing, I'd highly recommend getting good brakes and shocks. It'd be scary not being able to stop at the end of straight way, and shocks with good valving make any car much less scary doing quick lane-change type maneuvers and going through fast chicanes. I consider those two mods to be safety upgrades as much as they're performance upgrades.

Most definatly............brakes especially. The stock brakes may work for the first lap or two but when You come into turn 1 at speed on lap three and suddenly can't slow down........ :spank2: . You'll also want to invest in a road race style oil pan. Extended conering force will pull the oil away from the pick up and do very bad things (I know this from experiance) :banghead:

wendell
01-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Thanks guys.
I plan on starting to hunt parts for a 4thgen corvette disc swap this weekend. Dampeners are also on the short list.
Killer,
thanks for the heads up. I know that oil control is important but didn't have it as high on the list as I should.

I'm a protein chemist by trade and am looking forward to applying a little "scientific method" to the developement of this car. Thanks for the input.
Jensen

96Z28SS
01-21-2005, 05:49 PM
Where in MA did you get the car?
I'm in Hudson MA, I'm also looking to get a first gen .

wendell
01-21-2005, 06:44 PM
Sorry man, the source is top secret. Haven't given up on the Z28 yet. Its still hard for me to believe that there are clean straight cars in New England. Took me near 2 years to find it. Keep the faith.

96Z28SS
01-28-2005, 07:50 AM
Not looking for the source, I'd keep it a secret also.
Just wondering where your from.