PDA

View Full Version : Drop Spindle Problems 88-98 Chev

frog_spud
11-28-2007, 05:08 AM
Has anyone ever had any problems with belltech drop spindles on Chev Pickups? Mine are built in two pieces, the knuckle, which looks like a forging,and the spindle pin, which is machined and looks press fit. To the problem at hand, while changing the oil on my truck, i noticed extreme wear on the inside of my driver side tire, and upon further inspection noticed that my press fit portion of the spindle looked to be at a different angle than my right side which is wearing perfectly fine. Anyone had this problem? This is just one of the many woes I've had with my drop kit since i recieved it.

ScotI
11-28-2007, 09:37 PM
I've done several trucks using Bell-Tech spindles w/o any problems. Of those trucks, 3 were 88 ~ 98's & used their 'kit' (spindles, springs, flip-kit, c-notches).

It's always possible however that there was a QC issue w/a manufactured part. If in doubt, diassemble things so you can accuarately measure angles to confirm or dismiss your suspicions.

Chad-1stGen
11-29-2007, 12:26 AM
Did their kit on my 92 about 10 years ago. Tire wear has been horrible ever since. Despite alignments the outside edge of both tires wear really really bad.

frog_spud
11-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Yeah. I just haven't had much luck with this kit. The first go around I got the wrong shocks, so it was like I had check straps instead of absorbers. Now this too, I've got major toe issues and I think it messed up my caster as well cause the steering has went all vague feeling with no return and some wicked bumpsteer to boot. Too bad I already melted down the stockers...

ScotI
12-01-2007, 08:26 AM
I have some Bell Tech spindles on my 74swb pick-up that's been my daily driver since '04.

I lowered the truck in '03. It saw limited milage (mostly shows or weekend stuff) & I had to replace the 245/45-18 Dunlops after 1yr. because of wear on the tires edge.

I took the truck back to the same guy just to dbl. check the alignment specs. The only issue I had after the original alignment was the steering wheel wasn't perfectly centered. We all know how annoying that is to gear-heads; other than that the truck drove straight. After about 9-months, it developed a pull to the right that grew increasingly worse as the tires developed wear patterns.

The alignment was still in spec other than the changes to the toe setting/s to correct for the off-centered steering wheel. The truck has been on the road since (daily use now) & is still using that second set of Dunlops.

My 'kit':
B.Tech 3" spindles + 1-coil removed from the stock V8 springs
Western Chassis rear leaf flip-kit & lower shock bracket extensions
B.Tech dropped shackles

I say get the alignment verified.

wedgehead
12-01-2007, 09:33 AM
I have had a set on my suburban for about 4 years with no problems. I also cut a coil out of the spring with no tire wear issues. Sounds like you got a bad one. Alignment tech seems like should have caught that. Not easily overlooked when doing an alignment. i have used their spindles on many a project with no issues. I have done many an alignment and have found bent spindles while performing the alignment.