PDA

View Full Version : Factory A/C to Vintage system?

tharber
01-17-2005, 06:02 AM
This will be a long post. Thank you in advance for any information.

To start, my 69 x-11 is a factory A/C car in need of a total re-skin. From floors to roof and everything in between.

My car is missing the compressor, the condenser, hoses and (for lack of the proper name)the under dash part of the heater 'box' is broken. The good items are the evaporator box, heater core, evaporator and inner controls, unknown if they even work but they visually appear intact.

I had always intended on converting this car to the Vintage System but am now reconsidering. I'm looking for pro's and con's of each. To be honest the originalality of this car means nothing to me because of the extensive panel replacement.

I have recentely ordered and am ready to install a new lower cowl section. This new piece is only made for non A/C cars, it has 2 large vent openings on either side that would require patching prior to installation to match the original look and function of the original piece.
I am also considering a new lower firewall piece. AS these pieces are available as A/C or NON A/C I have an important decision to make.

I need to know how the Vintage system obtains it's fresh air. Does it utilize the vents from the lower cowl panel area or does it draw air from somewhere else? Or simply recirculate?

I do not know how the non A/C firewalls are different from A/C versions, or if in this case it will make any difference. So basically, with a new lower cowl, fire wall and both outer cowls, I could go either way on this project.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Go the Vintage route or stay Stock?

Thanks again!

TIm

zman1969
01-17-2005, 03:31 PM
I am going to vintage air for several reasons 1) i want air like latemodels - that cool! 2) cleanup the underhood clutter 3) i need to repair the old system anyway why not use technology of today? originality dosent mean anything to me because i'm installing a LS1 I have no other reason other than it was oe on my car plus you gotta do r134 freon as R-12 is too damn high and the older systems are'nt that efficient with r134 . I havent bought mine yet but will in a month or 2 :scared:

justanova
01-18-2005, 02:28 PM
I need to know how the Vintage system obtains it's fresh air. Does it utilize the vents from the lower cowl panel area or does it draw air from somewhere else? Or simply recirculate?

I called vintage air today, because I have a similar dilemma, I am going to shave my cowl opening and smooth my firewall, and I want to remove the lower cowl all together to make more room under the dash for stuff, and according to the technical guy from vintage air they are a recirculating system. and need no outside fresh air.

hope this helps

Modo Innovations
01-18-2005, 07:46 PM
My car is a factory air car as well. I bought the Sure Fit kit. It is a clean install and uses the factory controller. I have not got it going yet, although it is installed ( just the unit under the dash ) . I have heard nothing but good comments about this system. I kind of did a price comparison on fixing the factory system ( replacing all vital parts ) and a new V.A. kit. The price was very close, but the cleanliness of the firewall with the V.A. is what sold me.
I am thinking about selling it though. I had another idea, I think I want to try the compac model that they sell. There are two reasons that I am thinking this way, one is that it is controlled with electronics instead of cables and I want to make the controller look more modern and updated.
And there is no fresh air, only recirculated on all of their systems ( I think ).
Shannon

tharber
01-19-2005, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the input!

Tim

Steve68
01-20-2005, 05:08 AM
Wow, somebody from M I, I'm impressed, I didn't think anybody in brevard knew what PT was, Most people are into ISP out on SR3, or Drag racing at Speed World, I'm in O-town, Born and raised on the Beach, had my car at the port for years, now it's at home, Still work at the port all the time, But my car is a factory A/C car, I'm thinking of switching, talk to you later, Steve