PDA

View Full Version : What ignition to use???

Pro-touring towncar
08-18-2004, 05:07 PM
I am wanting to upgrade the factory TFI in the towncar and wonder what I should use. I was thinking the MSD 6AL. But don't really like the pill type of RPM adjustment. I may go with the digital 6 or Accel or ???
Any sugestions for a Ford EFI 5.0

Tim

67maroSS
08-19-2004, 03:51 PM
You should try one of the mustangs sites, I'm sure that they will have numerous ignition systems for you to look at. Assuming the engines are similar. I'm pretty sure they are. Try that out, you should have a better response.

Pro-touring towncar
08-21-2004, 10:35 AM
Most mustang forums treat you like dirt because it isn't a me too car( gotta mustang me too) I figure I would get more info here but I guessed wrong.

Tim

dennis68
08-21-2004, 11:11 AM
Hey. Mr. Arrogant here. I would go with MSD-6AL. Great box, never had a problem with any of my MSD stuff and customer service is pretty dang good.Try over at corner-carvers.com. Make sure to tell them you are new to the site and you have a Town car looking for advise. They will help.:rotfl:

Q ship
08-21-2004, 11:17 AM
Hey. Mr. Arrogant here. I would go with MSD-6AL. Great box, never had a problem with any of my MSD stuff and customer service is pretty dang good.Try over at corner-carvers.com. Make sure to tell them you are new to the site and you have a Town car looking for advise. They will help.:rotfl:

Oh sure Dennis, feed the big meany-heads! Tim, I would also agree that it is hard to wrong with MSD. Don't know enough about the thin film stuff to be much more help tho.

gmachinz
08-21-2004, 07:00 PM
You might want to look into a digital box like the Digital 7. It has far more spark energy and when you eliminate an analog sytle ignition control and go digital, you get better throttle response and way more power. -G

dennis68
08-21-2004, 07:28 PM
Way more power over an analog box, I wonder what kind of research was done to come to this conclusion. It is pretty well documented that going from a good, tuned, electronic ignition system to a "better" electronic ignition system is rarely worth more than a few horsepower at any RPM range. There a number of pro's to the digital system but "way more power" is not one of them.

This sounds like an add for Bosch platinum +4 spark plugs at 15/ea or whatever the newest precious metal spark plug is. It either ignites the fuel mixture or it doesn't.

68LSS1
08-22-2004, 10:04 PM
In the past on my many 5.0 build ups I upgraded the coil, wires and plugs and kept the rest of the system stock. Ford makes good ignition sytems. I'd use the money else where. Or if you really want to go aftermarket I'd go with the MSD crowd. I have used many MSD6-AL without any problems. I haven't gotten the opportunity to play with the new digital boxes yet. Been thinking of one for the 4.6. A lot of newer engines of course are going to coil on wire system (i.e. LS1) so this stuff doesn't work for them.

gmachinz
08-23-2004, 10:07 AM
Well Dennis, let me explain it this way. MSD 6A compared to MSD Digital 7 Plus. 190 millijoules per spark compared to 105? Or, there is 535V of primary voltage compared to 460-480. Then there is the EMI filter, retard feature up to 9.9 degrees, two rev limit controls, a 15 Megahertz micro processor....I think the differences are day/night in terms of power. -G

dennis68
08-23-2004, 11:15 AM
Those are all customer conviences that we have had to find other methods of accomplishing for decades. They do not in any way add power to overall horsepower peak output. If that were the case all I'd have to do is buy a 250.00 ignition box and add 25 HP correct? Boy that sounds like a Flowmaster cat-back ad, or a K&N filter one for that matter. It's true a nice digital box could add 20-30 HP over base, as long as base is old worn-out stock parts like most companies use when they boast of HP increases.

gmachinz
08-23-2004, 02:40 PM
Dennis, I'm comparing MSD 6AL to MSD Digital 7-not "stock, worn out parts..." Basically, any ignition system's job is to burn as much of the air/fuel mixture as possible, and the Digital boxes allow you to use MUCH more spark energy for just that purpose as well as incorporating features that some peopel may have not thought about or know how to deal with otherwise. More spark energy equates to more power-that's it. Anyway, it was only a suggestion. I think people should at least think about the benefits of using an updated box much like people here are upgrading their brakes, suspension, etc. -G

dennis68
08-23-2004, 04:02 PM
I know what you are trying to say. You are trying to say simply upgrading from a 6AL to a digital 7 series will automatically increase horsepower and that simply is not true. If you upgraded from crappy stock worn out stuff to a digital 7 then you would see significant horsepower increase. Just replacing a really good cd box with a more advanced cd box will not show a significant enough gain to justify the cost. 1-2 horsepower, if that, is not in my opinion enough of a gain to spend an additional several hundred dollars. I guess if it really is that much of a pain to have change the pill for the rev limit then you should buy the dial digital system. Not trying to start a feud, you'll find that I have a bad habit of calling folks out who do not back up their claims with tech (too much c-c.com I guess).

derekf
08-24-2004, 03:56 AM
This thread (http://66.70.234.198/forum/showthread.php?t=444) in the archives covers this very topic.

gmachinz
08-25-2004, 09:13 AM
Yeah I remember our conversation on this topic. I guess a lot of ignition controls are considered to be "good enough" for most, espescially when you look at the costs of some of the systems. But, having said that-I would encourage people to experiment with other systems or methods. I doubt the majority of people here are running around with basically stock engines with nothing more than an MSD 6AL or equivalent. I am more into getting the MOST out of anything. Sometimes you have to settle for what you can afford or find, but when you get into supercharged, turbo-charged or NOS'ed applications, there are many reasons why one should change ignition systems. But once again, its the whole engine package and the design of the car itself which should dictate what would be the best for any one person-whether they want to spend the $$ or are not willing to experiment, then I guess don't bother trying to figure out why somebody else is running a digital sytem and whether its for you or not. I just like to keep up to date on some aspects of the hobby and I feel I can give accurate explanations for decisions based on experience and being able to think creatively-that's all. -G

Matt@RFR
08-25-2004, 09:57 AM
I agree with gmachinz 100%. The way I look at it, though, is that a better ignition system only allows you to make more power, it doesn't make more power by itself.

Example, if you wanted to build a 1500hp blown alcohol motor, a magneto or one of the higher end boxes is required. But if you're looking for 300hp, either of the two ignitions above will be money wasted.

dennis68
08-25-2004, 11:21 AM
What the he!!, gmachine, where did you come from? Most of the guys on site are running stoick engines??? You are nuts, I don't think anybody is running totally stock. Matt is totally correct that a better ignition ALLOWS a higher HP potential, an ignition box however does absolutely nothing to add HP though. Did you actually read any of the "real" information previously posted? Anything written by an ignition manufacter' is biased at the very least. You might as well go hang with the ricers and throw some 100MPH stickers on your ride. "Real" tech NEVER comes the guy trying to sell you something. You can go spend your money on whatever you want but most of us will only buy what works and what is needed. Buying a MSD digital 7 box if you already have a working 6AL is a total waste of money, likewise if you have 300 bucks to spend why spend it all on the box when you could get the lower features (not lower quality) peice along with the wires, plugs, etc..

I wouldn't beleive ANYTHING written by Dr. Christopher A. Jacobs. His ignition boxes have a real bad reputation of not lasting very long and getting no customer service. I notice none of his stuff while walking through the pits of any major motorsports event.

MrQuick
08-29-2004, 11:13 PM
Den, Decaf...Iowa...chill...anymore questions? Jacobs, best ignition developed by a doctor.Hands down.READ DOCTOR, I like MSD,but you can't beat the simplicity of a beefed up GM HEI. now go play...

dennis68
08-30-2004, 05:59 AM
Hey Vince, how was your trip?:offtopic: I know but this thread isn't going anywhere anyways. I noticed in Derek's link the same guy spouting the same junk gibberish(sp). Some people refuse to learn.

Anyway's, pick up anything cool?

MrQuick
08-30-2004, 08:31 AM
luckily I unloaded more than I picked up.Met some cool people on the way.Well I picked up 1 big part and a bunch of phone numbers. check it! some rust in the floor pan but other wise clean.Great builder
$305 for car with title(registed till July 05)
$85 for gas
$40 food
$60 hotel stay
$20 swap meet
watching the reaction of people as the drive by priceless
:seizure: I had a guy chase us 4 miles and try to sign " hey I want to buy that car " to me with my window up lotsa fun.

64Comet
06-14-2005, 05:49 AM
I agree that the boxes afford you the opportunity to create more power, but do not increase HP. The Digi series has a lot of features for users of power adders that would cost you double if not triple if you were to start out with a MSD 6AL box and try to get the same options added. 2 stages of retard (perfect for nitrous use!!!!), dial adjustable rev-limiter, etc. To each his own. I have used the 6AL system and loved it, but for my current application i am going the all in one digi series. A lot easier to deal with.

64Comet
06-14-2005, 05:50 AM
Btw MrQuick...what the heck did you buy that folks were wanting to buy??? You have sparked my curiousity...no pun intended due to thread!

PRO TC
06-15-2005, 08:34 PM
msd no ?

pro tc

squid
09-05-2005, 10:31 AM
I just put a MSD Pro billet Dist, SS Blaster Coil, and 6+ Digital in a SBC 68 Camaro. Changed from points. Huge difference, idles better, quieter, chirps the tires in second. Easy to install, highly recommend Digital 6+. Runs a lot better!